I eat steak at least twice a week, and I never put it in the oven.
I use the superhot cast iron pan method.
1. Take meat out, let it come to room temp if you have time. Dry it off, salt and pepper one side.
2. Make cast iron pan super hot by heating it over med-high heat. Drops of water should sizzle loudly.
3. Put the salted side of the meat down, and don't touch it until it stops sticking to the pan.
4. Flip. Salt and pepper the naked side up.
5. Cook it until that side releases, too.
6. Remove to a plate, cover and let rest 5-10 min.
A really super thick steak might not cook past really rare without burning on the outside using this method, but I only encounter that very occasionally. Turning my oven on in the summer is just not an option (plus it takes 30 min + to warm up.)