starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "interesting type of tendonitis."

Default The "interesting type of tendonitis."

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

In your discussion about knee position during the squat, you mention the interesting tendonitis that can develop if the knees move forward (Fig. 2-48 of SSBT3). Could you please describe where this can occur?

I ask because I seem to be continually, though mildly, sore in the insertion areas of my quads on both legs. It is not enough to keep me from squatting and progressing, but I do get a twinge when climbing stairs, for example. Here is one of my recent squat videos (edited down and muted):

http://youtu.be/uHSMZp9kAv4

I have been told in the Technique forum (by more than one) that, though it is not exactly the squat you teach, it is a pretty good squat. Am I correct in thinking that my high-bar-like form is putting more strain on my quads, thus I have my continual soreness?

I continually work on my form, since you've made it clear many times that when squatting correctly in the manner you teach, such issues can be avoided. I will keep striving.

Thank you for looking--I appreciate your feedback.

What can a board post add to my 4-page illustrated explanation of this situation in the book? Are you and Dastardly just trying to see if I'll be a prick today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What can a board post add to my 4-page illustrated explanation of this situation in the book? Are you and Dastardly just trying to see if I'll be a prick today?
    No, I am not testing your attitude today (I certainly know better). I did not consult with Dastardly before posting. I am merely seeking more specifically the tendonitis you are describing generally in the caption of Fig 2-48, and, if it is related to my soreness. I don't know that it is, but as a novice, I wish to verify this with the expert. My knees do move forward when I squat. However, I have not developed problems in my hips, which is what that illustration implies (tension on the attachments to the pelvis). Fig 2-49 shows equal forces along the quads in the knees-moving-forward scenario. Hence, my question.

Of course, you may see something in my video that I am unaware of that's causing my problem. Or problems.

It was indeed Dastardly who described my squat as good for what it is, even though it is not textbook SSBBT. I can see a good low-bar back squat in others, but can't seem to solve it for myself. As I said, I keep striving.

I'm curious to know whether you agree with Dastardly's assessment of my squat.

Thank you, Coach.

In figure 2-48, do you see the proximal attachments of the TFL, the sartorius, and the rectus femoris? That's where the tendinitis is.

As for Dastardly's assessment of your squat as "good for what it is," have you ever seen an armadillo? They live here in Texas, a little shell-encrusted mammal that eats bugs. They get killed on the highway quite often, and when this happens, the flies start in on them and pretty soon they are an upside down bowl of maggots. But still pretty good for a dead armadillo.

Quote Originally Posted by pcknshvl View Post
    It was indeed Dastardly who described my squat as good for what it is
    Rip, do you see what we have to deal with outside of this subforum?

I know. He's a sad creature. I appreciate your efforts.

It was indeed Dastardly who described my squat as good for what it is
    What is it?

No, I am not testing your attitude today (I certainly know better). I did not consult with Dastardly before posting. I am merely seeking more specifically the tendonitis you are describing generally in the caption of Fig 2-48, and, if it is related to my soreness. I don't know that it is, but as a novice, I wish to verify this with the expert. My knees do move forward when I squat. However, I have not developed problems in my hips, which is what that illustration implies (tension on the attachments to the pelvis). Fig 2-49 shows equal forces along the quads in the knees-moving-forward scenario. Hence, my question.

Of course, you may see something in my video that I am unaware of that's causing my problem. Or problems.

It was indeed Dastardly who described my squat as good for what it is, even though it is not textbook SSBBT. I can see a good low-bar back squat in others, but can't seem to solve it for myself. As I said, I keep striving.

I'm curious to know whether you agree with Dastardly's assessment of my squat.

Thank you, Coach.
    Dude, if your knees are traveling forward, get a UBOW, and fix it. You do not want this to flare up into serious tendinitis. It sucks balls.

Wow. Yes, I've seen armadillos. In Texas, in fact.

Thank you for answering my question, and for enlightening me on my squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Stockholm syndrome could easily be renamed to Rippetoe's Q+A syndrome. Not as catchy, to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast