starting strength gym

Thread: Rebuilding my squat, dammit....

Default Rebuilding my squat, dammit....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip himself described my squat here. Look for the armadillo reference. So I'm starting back at the beginning. These are very deliberate reps, where I'm concentrating on the "sit back, lean over, shove my knees out" mantra. Really, I'm just trying to keep my knees from moving forward at the bottom and improve my lean. Reps 1 - 3 aren't bad, but the rest, my knees move forward at the bottom. They also shoot back as soon as I start to move out of the hole. And I see that I'm looking up near the top of my ascent, which I think is making me lead with my chest a little.

http://youtu.be/JxtH8hfSBCc

TUBOW: Yes, for the next workout. Should I be trying for the knee position I manage to have in reps 1 - 3 (about even with my toes), or should I set my knees all the way forward, where they tend to want to go?

I think my back angle is better, and I'm certain the bar is on the right place on my back. I'm hinting at some actual hip drive, too, I think.

Finally, SS coaches in the Seattle area, please PM me with your info and rates.

As always, thanks for looking.

Comments welcome too, of course!

No advice here, just sympathy. My squats look a lot like yours.

I used a TUBOW last night at 170, knocked it over on my first rep :-(
    Back to 135 for a while until I can get my form right.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    No advice here, just sympathy. My squats look a lot like yours.

I used a TUBOW last night at 170, knocked it over on my first rep :-(
    Back to 135 for a while until I can get my form right.
    Thanks for that--frustrating, isn't it?

Get in touch with Michael Street and Carrie Klumpar over at Eastside S&C. Both of them are very good coaches. There's a bunch of people in your area that know this stuff, too. Rip and Co have held several seminars up there. Check the SS Coaches Directory.

For your squat, stop being so tentative on your descent. Lean over and trust it. You want to get to the bottom and come back up. You are still trying to stay too upright at the bottom. Lifting shoes are your friends. Invest in them.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Get in touch with Michael Street and Carrie Klumpar over at Eastside S&C. Both of them are very good coaches. There's a bunch of people in your area that know this stuff, too. Rip and Co have held several seminars up there. Check the SS Coaches Directory.

For your squat, stop being so tentative on your descent. Lean over and trust it. You want to get to the bottom and come back up. You are still trying to stay too upright at the bottom. Lifting shoes are your friends. Invest in them.
    Thank you, Tom. I'm not normally so tentative; as I said, I was being very deliberate. It may not be the best way to learn the squat, but I'm trying to undo months of bad habits. Going slow lets me feel the movement. I agree, it's time for shoes.

Thanks for the coaching referrals, too.

I think you have to learn to "get in between your legs". You are "avoiding" that. Once you get it, u never forget.

You may even want to try leg press to go "deeper".

Or, move the "safety bars" ( how to call them ?) 1 step lower (compared to the original video you posted to the other thread) and let the bar rest on them. Get under the bar and find the right spot with the help of camera/ friend while you are already down, and the bar is safely held. When you feel a stretch, you most likely have got it.

Here are two with TUBOW, a warm-up set, and a "work" set (the last of three at 185lbs):

http://youtu.be/BNlZYBMW4ww warm-up

http://youtu.be/fyt1Iwm9Zbk work set

I'm tentative during the warm-ups, since this is the first time with TUBOW. Less so on the heavier set.

I may be a tad high, but not too bad, and my knees are not shooting forward at the bottom. I hit TUBOW about 1/2 way down, and do not knock it over.

Back angle seems better, but it looks like I could lean even more. Still tend to lead with my chest (time to block that mirror), but a couple reps seem to hint at hip drive.

Yes, the shoes.

I look forward to any comments, and thanks for looking.

Are you pushing your knees out? It looks like they're not being pushed out in that last video, and that's why you have trouble going below parallel without knocking the block of wood over.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevag View Post
    Are you pushing your knees out? It looks like they're not being pushed out in that last video, and that's why you have trouble going below parallel without knocking the block of wood over.
    Maybe...too busy on concentrating on touching TUBOW just right and forgetting to push out, but they aren't crashing inwards, either.