Following on from my squat form check I am posting regarding the shoulder injury I mentioned there.
- 28 years old, male, new to training
- Chief Complaint - my left shoulder aches usually after either bench press or press, lots of clicking (without pain) which was not there prior to the injury
- The injury occurred whilst pressing 33kg on 22/02/12 and I missed reps on sets 3, 4 and 5 (I was doing stronglifts 5x5 at the time). I felt no pain during or after my workout.
I woke up the next morning with a very sore left trap. Through the course of the day the pain radiated to the side of my shoulder. I played 5 a side football that evening and the running caused me to experience very sharp pain almost along a line from my acromion down the side of my shoulder. This pain was gone the next day but I was left with a dull ache around the top of my shoulder.
The doctor told me to rest and take painkillers and stop pressing or bench pressing which seemed to be working until a fortnight later. Whilst pulling a top off overhead with my left arm I felt a stabbing pain on the trap side of my acromion and the ache came back.
- Pain level was 7, now 2
- Pain is a dull ache around the top rear of my shoulder joint with some light burning/itching sensation at what feels like the front of the socket
- Not pressing seems to make it better
- Pressing seems to be much worse than bench pressing though it's not painful to press
- There has never been any noticeable bruising or swelling. If I raise my arm in front and then lower it I can feel something flick back into place on the top, outside of edge of my shoulder as my arm almost reaches my side again. My shoulder clicks a lot which it did not do before.
I hope I have been able to describe my injury for your understanding. I would hope to get some advice from you guys before going to see my doctor again who will tell me to "rest and take painkillers" as usual.
Thanks again in advance for any input