starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Strength Standards Tables are back up.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by squatsocks View Post
    how can you have cat 4/5 everything and a cat 2 power clean!?
    Perhaps he's old, like me.

If you don't do them because they hurt your wrists or knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We figured that since everybody was going to use them anyway, we'd relabel the categories to minimize the confusion.

http://startingstrength.com/files/standards.pdf

The confusion arose because people insist on conflating the strength levels in the table with the levels of training advancement in Practical Programming for Strength Training. We have retitled the categories to limit the confusion. As before, the numbers are for 1RM in each lift, performed as described in SS:BBT3.

The tables may be used with appropriate attribution to this website. Thank you in advance for keeping this in mind.
    Might have been a good idea to directly write in the document a disclaimer that these tables represent performance levels, NOT the level of training advancement as outlined in PPST (novice, intermediate, advanced, elite).

are you, like, mentally retarded?

i can almost pretty much "upright row" cat 2 power clean weights
    Because I don't do the clean by itself. The only time I do is in preparation for an OHP. I am sure I do them with extremely poor form, pick up the bar and get it near if not on my shoulders. At some point I may look into doing them in the future, but right now I do not like to leave the ground when lifting weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Might have been a good idea to directly write in the document a disclaimer that these tables represent performance levels, NOT the level of training advancement as outlined in PPST (novice, intermediate, advanced, elite).
    We've done that, 20-30 times. We haven't printed this disclaimer between every row of numbers, but maybe we'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
    Perhaps he's old, like me.
    This It all gets harder as we get older, but the fast lifts seemingly more so. Case study of 1 (age 64), I'm a Cat. 4, half-way to Cat 5 deadlifter, but can eek out a barely Cat 3 PC on a very good day if the stars are all aligned. Us old guys can be advised to approach the tables accordingly.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm glad that despite your reservations, you've reposted the standards Rip. Back in the day, I got injured a lot playing contact sports. Not coincidentally, I was below category III strength levels. Even worse, I was only doing body weight type drills or nautilaus machines per coaches instructions. If I'd have known what reasonable strength levels were and how to get there - I would have done it and spent far less time on the sidelines.

Now I'm a coach and these tables are a useful tool. They don't have the important subtle points about linear progression but I can monitor that as a coach. Importantly, I can point my athletes towards the tables, give them the caveats, and give them some good strength goals that will help them stay injury free. I'm glad the tables are back up.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456