starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else going to try Jim Wendler's 100-Rep Challenge?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just did the curls for the third time... First time a few weeks ago I got 60, then 70 about a week later, then 100 today. Can barely type, my grip is all fucked up, haha...

Pretty gay but sort of fun I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    I finished day 2 and it was no joke. It was brutally hard. Normally I'd say that tomorrow's sled walk would be a cakewalk, but after today even tying my shoes will be hard.

How many P90X people also lift heavy? For that matter how many Crossfitters also lift heavy? Most I see and have seen are doing nothing but high reps at low weights.

Well in this particular program you do bench. And the day afterward you do a whole lot of assistance. You also squat, then do a whole bunch of assistance the next day.

And maybe, just maybe Jim Wendler knows what he's doing.

If you're done with novice linear progression, why not give this a try? What's 6 weeks going to hurt?
    This doesn't have anything to do w/ lifting heavy. Or rather, the lifting heavy is fine and good. The part i was making fun of is the whole pain and suffering, put hair on your chest, earn the man card aspect, which is something the CFers seem to excel at (while also forging elite fitness).

Is it going to actually HURT anything? Well it'll cause debilitating pain and soreness as you report, but beyond that I don't know. I recall reading that doing a bunch of high rep exercises in addition to high intensity ones interferes w/ strength gains, but i don't have any personal experience with it. Obviously the physical and mental energy could be used for some other purpose, it's just 6 weeks.

Also applicable to me personally is that Uncle Wendler says "This isn't a time to be "cutting"; cutting is for people that don't have the discipline to eat right the majority of the time." ... well i'm one of those undisciplined people so apparently i should be cutting instead of being a man (which happens to be what i'm doing (by which i mean that i'm on a diet)).

More broadly, i don't know what Wendler knows (though there's a very good chance i'm going to try out 5/3/1 in 2013 and will prob even buy the 2nd edition of his book even though the 1st edition was ... not up to snuff (and that's kind)), but it seems he's gotten Dan John syndrome where whatever you want to do it's all gravy. This may be because he seems to be writing two t-nation pieces a month lately and there just isn't all THAT much new to say. Yes, he's "been there" and paid his dues and he can kick my ass any day of the week etc, but i can't really tell the difference between what he's saying and the rest of T-nation stuff ...

edit: a few months ago i ran across this accelerated video of a CF guy doing 1000 burpees to raise money for charity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qkHRAcRgc i start getting anxious after about 2 or 3 minutes of watching it (and there's no celebration or anything at the end since it just fades out while he's still doing them. i assume due to the 20 minute limit on yt vids )
    Last edited by veryhrm; 09-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Veryhrm, does anything that has any miniscule relation to manliness, aggression, non-political correctness, and/or testosterone, not put you off?

You seem like the type of person who would flip out over a poster of a half naked girl on a gym wall or something.

Fuck.

I mean I understand totally that the whole chest bumping, "be a man" thing can get out of hand and annoying sometimes, but shit this is lifting not a day spa where we get facials and manicures before going to brunch for some gruyere quiche and crepes.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoye View Post
    Veryhrm, does anything that has any miniscule relation to manliness, aggression, non-political correctness, and/or testosterone, not put you off?

You seem like the type of person who would flip out over a poster of a half naked girl on a gym wall or something.

Fuck.

I mean I understand totally that the whole chest bumping, "be a man" thing can get out of hand and annoying sometimes, but shit this is lifting not a day spa where we get facials and manicures before going to brunch for some gruyere quiche and crepes.
    Actually...
    my gym has a spa.
    Also...
    quiche. But no crepes.
    Although...
    there is a crepe place in the fancy mall food court a block down.

And, for the past week in the men's restroom off the gym floor there has been a poster/stand by the sink advertising this:
    Special of the month: Month of September

Glowing Performance Facial

This medically based skin care treatment increases your skin’s metabolism causing rapid cell regeneration, oxygenation, and nutrient absorption. This classic facial is recognized as one of the most effective skin care systems – giving your skin a more youthful appearance.
    Anyhow, what can i say ... when it comes to the muscle mag posturing i have cynicism nowadays ( http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...-have-cynicism ). It's primarily triggered by tone and language and usually i suppress the reaction, but sometimes it gets through. As to the challenge itself... like KAG said it's something to do and i agree. Someday i want to do 100 push-ups for absolutely no reason than to say i can do 100 push ups and i'll think i'm cool when (if) i do that. But i'm not going to wrap it in poetic language about struggle and ancestors and creation. (though if i ever get to under 190lbs ... THAT absolutely will merit an epic poem )

(a clip from that South Park ep better explaining cynicism. Note: it's a bit gross. http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...in-a-microwave )
    Last edited by veryhrm; 09-12-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Default Is anyone else going to try Jim Wendler's 100-Rep Challenge?

From what I can gather, Jim's philosophy is that it doesn't matter what you do for assistance as long as you are progressing on the the 4 main lifts. This seems like a fun thing to throw in there for a bit, it's way beyond me currently through.

CF's problem is they try to do things for time, so a decent pullup turns into a kip.
    Last edited by Mark Carpenter; 09-12-2012 at 04:14 AM.

What exactly is its objective?

Some sort of GPP work?

The guys at my gym are doing the curls once a week. I think someone got 85 last night and then couldn't write his number on the whiteboard after. One of the guys is a drummer and (stupidly) did his a few weeks ago the afternoon before a gig...

Quote Originally Posted by markccj View Post
    What exactly is its objective?

Some sort of GPP work?
    From reading Paul Carter's site, he does the high rep stuff to build mass mainly.

Here's some motivation:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-s-waist.html

DEFINITELY real.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Here's some motivation:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-s-waist.html

DEFINITELY real.
    Popeye had big forearms goddammit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast