starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else going to try Jim Wendler's 100-Rep Challenge?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Popeye had big forearms goddammit.
    Thank you.

And he has big forearms, his comic strip is still in production.

I'll be doing this 6-week program Wendler posted starting in December. I have some buddies who keep goading me into doing silly obstacle runs, so I'm going to save it for after that is done.

I still don't get this. So did we just all decide that bodybuilders were right after all, and high reps with light weights is the best way to get jacked?

My legs and chest grow more from doing heavy sets of 5 than they ever did from endless pushups/pullups/lunges, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ecj View Post
    I still don't get this. So did we just all decide that bodybuilders were right after all, and high reps with light weights is the best way to get jacked?

My legs and chest grow more from doing heavy sets of 5 than they ever did from endless pushups/pullups/lunges, etc.
    I think we agreed (*) that once you've graduated beyond LP you can do whatever you want as you pursue your lifetime of physical culture involvement and just overall to live and let live.

Also... i think it is consistent with SS scripture that BBers are "right" that high reps / low rest -> sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. The way BBers are wrong is when they try to do that with a 135lbs bench instead of getting strong first through LP and then doing their many sets w/ a 250+lbs bench. And also when they don't work their backs and lower bodies.

*- i can't actually speak for anyone else, that's just my sense of where we are now in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    This doesn't have anything to do w/ lifting heavy. Or rather, the lifting heavy is fine and good. The part i was making fun of is the whole pain and suffering, put hair on your chest, earn the man card aspect,
    have you ever played sports, out of interest? A major part of doing any activity is (or rather should be) the mental strength that comes along with it. If you're not constantly adding new challenges that test your will and *gasp* manliness, than you're not really that tough of a person. Muscle endurance is a pretty important part of being a physically fit human being, and according to wendler and common sense, this is a pretty solid way to achieve that.

You need to do both. That has been common knowledge for a long time now.

One of my guys did 101 curls last night, so now everyone else has to break the 100 rep mark to avoid being shamed at the gym.

I don't think it is that simple. Most bodybuilders do a combination of both, and they may not do a lot of BW exercises. A couple of ladies I work out with do a lot of powerbuilding. They work the main lifts for powerlifting, but also do a lot of higher rep assistance work. That really does seem to be a good combination. I've sort of adopted this approach as well (as have other lifters here on the site), and it really does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I don't think it is that simple. Most bodybuilders do a combination of both, and they may not do a lot of BW exercises. A couple of ladies I work out with do a lot of powerbuilding. They work the main lifts for powerlifting, but also do a lot of higher rep assistance work. That really does seem to be a good combination. I've sort of adopted this approach as well (as have other lifters here on the site), and it really does work.
    100 reps seems like overkill. I mean, I do my 3x15 chins and back extensions, some situps, etc., as Rip advocates. I'm not sure what good doing 100 reps of something would be. You'd have to use an insanely light weight.

I imagine most of the benefit is psychological. You probably get a big pump and "feel" like you're growing more.

starting strength coach development program
    100 reps seems like overkill. I mean, I do my 3x15 chins and back extensions, some situps, etc., as Rip advocates. I'm not sure what good doing 100 reps of something would be. You'd have to use an insanely light weight.

I imagine most of the benefit is psychological. You probably get a big pump and "feel" like you're growing more.
    Yeah, it probably is overkill. I haven't tried 100 reps of anything yet, so I can't comment. I can't count higher than 15 or so, and sometimes I can maybe count to 20. Most of my stuff is limited to that rep range. :-)

Edit: I just thought I would add something else. This is sort of how the ladies I workout with train:

M- light bench (maybe close grips) 5x10, sometimes 20's... I've noticed the reps drop near contest time, assistance (upper back, triceps, shoulders, all in a high rep/superset/fast paced format)
    T- light squats (similar format), heavy deads, assistance in the high rep range
    Th- Heavy bench (with bench shirt), assistance
    F or Sat- Heavy Squat (full gear), light deads, assistance

Both of them are ripped!
    Last edited by Les Hahn; 09-14-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast