starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie suggestion to other Newbies

Default Newbie suggestion to other Newbies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, excuse this post addressed to other newbies, but since it concerns this Q&A I thought it best to post here.

Fellow Newbies,

If you are like me you are so excited with the discovery of SS, and the fact that you are actually gaining strength fast, maybe for the first time in your life, that you are just bubbling over with questions about form, injuries, diet, shoes, belts, body fat %, expected speed of gains, and how strong can I really expect to get anyway? ( And much, much, MUCH more.)

Well, if you are really hungry for data, and you want to be entertained while reading about SS, then go to the earliest entries of this "Mark Rippetoe Q&A" and read them chronologically. Go to "Last" which is actually the first and just pick out any thread title that catches your fancy as you work your way forward. Rip and his buddies are hilarious, and you will get their take on every single issue you could possibly think of. And, not so incidentally, avoid asking stupid questions that have been asked a million times before. (Also Rip's tone was so much sweeter in the early days, before he had answered the same question over and over!)

I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now. I'm up to Pg 300 from the earliest of Pg 370, and it's finally starting to get repetitive, but I learned a lot and had not a few laughs along the way.

Have fun, and good reading!

Rip, thanks for the reading extravaganza!

You are a GOOD noob. We need more like you.

You could also consider giving Mean Old Mr Gravity a read.

Damn thing didn't sell as well as it should have. There's a helluva lot of information in there, in a convenient package that fits nicely on that table by your toilet.

Yeah I done this a while ago, well worth it.

Did the same. Might just do that again sometime soon.

Gene61,

I'm a newbie, and I couldn't agree more. As an aside, I have to say my output at work really plummeted as I worked my way up through the Q&A.

Whenever people ask me questions in the gym, I tell them (1) buy SSBBT3, and (2) read the Q&A. ~ 6770 threads full of information, for FREE. Thanks, Rip! (And thanks for kicking that stupid fucking orangutan.)

Regarding the laughs, remember this one?

http://startingstrength.com/resource...p/t-13627.html

Savs, Thanks for the link to Bleve's Adelaide (mis)adventure. I had somehow missed that one. It was particularly interesting to me as I have two siblings, their spouses and a couple of neices/nephews living in Adelaide. It isn't as backward as Bleve indicates (obviously, their gyms are right up to date!!). A little city anyway, but it is FAR out of the way.

You should sticky the OP at the top of the Q&A or at least in the FAQ section Rip...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Damn thing didn't sell as well as it should have. There's a helluva lot of information in there, in a convenient package that fits nicely on that table by your toilet.
    Too bad 'cause it's a good read and a fair FAQ for those of us who like paper to hold in their hands in or out of El Bano. But I don't have room for a table between the sink and the throne.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast