starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Arthritis a symptom or a disease?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Pain and death are our lot, guys. The only question is whether you face them standing up, with a sword in one hand and a wet pussy in the other, or flat on your back waiting for somebody to come wipe your ass for you.
    Most inspirational thing I've read in a long time. I'm off to the gym.

...Autoimmune arthritides include rheumatoid, lupus arthritis, and the like. They can be difficult to manage, and they suck...
    I have psoriatic arthritis. It is treated with a immuno-suppressing medication. Once the immune system is beaten down, the arthritis is manageable. But the risk is that you are vulnerable to infections of all types.

I've been lucky and I have not had infection issues (or excessive colds, bronchitis, etc.).

The meds and tests run over $30,000.00 per year. So if you don't have insurance, don't get this disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    I have psoriatic arthritis. It is treated with a immuno-suppressing medication. Once the immune system is beaten down, the arthritis is manageable. But the risk is that you are vulnerable to infections of all types.

I've been lucky and I have not had infection issues (or excessive colds, bronchitis, etc.).

The meds and tests run over $30,000.00 per year. So if you don't have insurance, don't get this disease.
    The autoimmune arthritides are no joke. Sorry you have to deal with this. Do you train?

If you are talking about crippling, incapacitating pain, that is correct. If you are talking about pain and injury in general, then NO, the answer is not YES.

If you train, even for general fitness, even using barbells, which are incredibly safe, you will have pain. You will suffer minor injuries. If you are careless, stupid and/or unlukcy, you may suffer more serious injuries. If you train, you will have fascial strains and occasional muscle belly tears and facet tweaks and joint pain. You will be sore after volume workouts. And so on.

When you hit 68, you will be, to some extent, beat up.

Because you're 68. Who lives to be 68, and doesn't arrive a little beat up? Nobody I've ever met. The goal is to be 68, beat up, hurting, and strong.

I'm afraid my writings on this board may have given some the impression that I think barbell medicine is a panacea. It is not. It is a powerful physical tonic, to be sure, but not an existential one. Pain and death are our lot, guys. The only question is whether you face them standing up, with a sword in one hand and a wet pussy in the other, or flat on your back waiting for somebody to come wipe your ass for you.

Sorry. I'm in a mood today. But really.
    The autoimmune arthritides are no joke. Sorry you have to deal with this. Do you train?
    Sully,

First, I want to say that I have been lurking on the forum for a bit, and have been reading your log and posts for maybe a year and a half. You're a source of inspiration for me: especially with regard to the fact that one needs to keep "showing up" as a part of the ups and downs of life.

I have been following this thread because of the connection to autoimmune disease. I have myasthenia gravis (ocular), which came with a thymoma (and thymectomy with radiation afterwards). I've written about it in the Elderly forum at http://http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=35607&p=569360#post569360 My thought (admittedly simplistic) has been that the MG is trying to make me weaker, so I figured that I would try to get stronger. It's much like what you are saying about aging in general, really. I don't really believe that in my lifetime there will be any cure for MG (it's too rare for anyone to give a shit, really). My neurologist is really supportive of my lifting (as is my oncologist), which is great. So in a way, I'm operating on your premise: show up at the gym, get stronger, bank the progress, and stick it to the Reaper for as long as I can. Thanks for your posts and your log. Keep up the good work! (By the way, my wife--Squat Queen--and I are former Detroiters, and my father-in-law was a longtime faculty member in the Comp Lit and English Departments at Wayne State. It's a small world. Hope you get to come to Asheville some time!)

The autoimmune arthritis are no joke. Sorry you have to deal with this. Do you train?
    About 9 years ago I received a spider bite on my right forearm. The arm swelled up like a balloon and was very painful. Before the spider bite pain disappeared the first symptoms of the psoriatic arthritis appeared. I went to a orthopedist. X-rays were negative (he thought there would be a small fracture to explain the pain in the pinkie).

He sent me to a rheumatologist. I had a history of gout (at the time I was the youngest diagnosed patient with gout--but the symptoms quickly disappeared). So the doctor initially treated me for gout. With no response.

The pain got really acute and kept me awake at night. I bought new shoes--loafers, no laces.

I bought new pants with a looser fit so I had an easier time reaching into my pockets. I told people "keep the change" often because it was easier than reaching into my pocket. I thought I was going to end up in a nursing home--at the age of 56.

I went for a consultation with another rheumatologist--a old, white haired doctor with a white lab coat. He made a very quick diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. (I never even knew I had psoriasis.)

The insurance company fought having me on Enbrel (because of the cost). I was on Methotrexate for several months. Each time it worked for a couple of weeks and then we had to increase the dosage. The dosages were reaching non-sustainable levels and my doctor fought with the insurance company for the Enbrel.

About a year ago I started feeling the urge to train again. I asked my doctor if I could workout and she said, "Do as much as you can for as long as you can." I started about 8 months ago in my basement doing push-ups and dumbbell work.

I joined Gold's Gym three months ago and I am making good progress. I am up to 245 pounds on the bench for 10 reps. I got up to 255 pounds but on the ninth rep my old pec injury started to bother me so I backed off temporarily. I don't think I established sufficient base for that poundage yet.

My goal is to get back over 300 pounds for a triple. When I was 40 I was still doing triples with 375 pounds. My best single at 182 body weight was 425 pounds. But the next time I tried that poundage I tore the pec that is now bothering me. The doctor said, "You'll never bench again." (He was wrong.)

My feeling is that if the arthritis does not flare up and I don't injure myself that I can get back over 300 pounds--hopefully by the end of the summer.

I'm dead-lifting 255 pounds for 5 sets of 10 reps--but I might cut back on the reps as it tires me quite a bit.

I do 20 minutes of either elliptical or StairMaster each workout (4 per week).

I believe my doctor thinks my exercise program consists of "a brisk walk around the block after dinner". I think she'd be mortified if she found out what I was doing.

Note: Before I joined the gym I got my single set of push-ups up to 93 reps--which I think is pretty good for someone who is 64 years old.

As an interesting sidebar, by dog, a retriever with a keen sense of smell, would sniff the painful joint, and only that painful joint. So there was something going on in the arthritis that his nose could pick up. A point I brought out to the doctors but none could give an explanation.
    Last edited by Packard; 11-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Interesting story Packard. I've been dealing with some form of spondyloarthropathy for about two years now. It's a pain in the ass as I'm 26 and have failed all of the DMARDS I can try (sulfasalazine, arava.) My doctor thinks I drink too much for methotrexate so I haven't tried that one yet. Right now I manage with some aleve and lots of ice when something is sore. Hopefully we will try a biologic next, but I'm on a high deductible insurance plan so who knows what will happen.

I've been able to progress in lifting quite a bit but eventually once the weight gets high enough my tendons don't like it and I end up dealing with an injury for months at a time. I've eventually had to switch up to more of a BB style template that allows me to work through the various injuries I have at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by cubbieblue View Post
    Interesting story Packard. I've been dealing with some form of spondyloarthropathy for about two years now. It's a pain in the ass as I'm 26 and have failed all of the DMARDS I can try (sulfasalazine, arava.) My doctor thinks I drink too much for methotrexate so I haven't tried that one yet. Right now I manage with some aleve and lots of ice when something is sore. Hopefully we will try a biologic next, but I'm on a high deductible insurance plan so who knows what will happen.

I've been able to progress in lifting quite a bit but eventually once the weight gets high enough my tendons don't like it and I end up dealing with an injury for months at a time. I've eventually had to switch up to more of a BB style template that allows me to work through the various injuries I have at any time.
    I did not drink at all for the first 8 years I was on Enbrel and Methotrexate. But my arthritis is well-controlled and I am only on the Enbrel--so I can take a bit of alcohol.

Liver damage is a concern--so adding drinking to the Methotrexate is not advised.

I'm in my late 40s. I couple of years ago I noticed that my finger was starting to get arthritis. Everybody says these kinds of things start to happen in your 40s. Unrelated to the arthritis, I started eating paleo. The arthritis is gone. So for me it may have been a symptom of inflammation from eating things that I didn't realize didn't agree with me. Probably vegetable oils which I do not eat anymore, or possibly wheat which I no longer eat, either.

I wish I'd known that weight lifting makes you feel so much younger. John Sullivan, your message needs to get out to the masses.

Because you're 68. Who lives to be 68, and doesn't arrive a little beat up? Nobody I've ever met. The goal is to be 68, beat up, hurting, and strong.
    This is worth printing and hanging in my room

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by meshka7 View Post
    This is worth printing and hanging in my room
    When my father was 76 (and playing 3 hours of singles tennis each morning), his left knee started to hurt. He went to the doctor and complained.

The doctor said,"Well, Milt, your left knee is 76 years old--what did you expect."

And my father said, "Well, Doc, my right knee is 76 years old too and it does not hurt. That's what I expect."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12