starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check request

Default Squat check request

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    [Please see post from Dec 3 (3rd set of videos) in response below for the revised form based on feedback]

Would appreciate your feedback, especially on any issues around the knees (is this amount of knee travel acceptable?.

Below are 2 sets from the last work set @ 77.5 lb. I was aiming at 72.5 lb but mistakenly used 5 lb plates instead of 2.5 lb. (No wonder it was so damn hard.)

Set 2 of 3, back 45% view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2u43w_87c

Set 3 of 3, side view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpbQFVWnIg

For reference, I'm 125 lb @ 5'5.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kessg; 12-03-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: .

Those look decent, although there are two things you should work on - the stretch reflex and driving your knees out. One reason the squats are hard is that you do not effectively utilize the stretch reflex at the bottom. You go too slowly when you start your ascent. Think about driving up aggressively as soon as you get your depth. The video from the rear oblique looked like you may need to go a little deeper, but the side looked fine. Ultimately, judging depth from a video taken at head height is difficult to do. Also, let you knees come slightly more forward during the first half of the squat and drive them out farther to the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    two things you should work on - the stretch reflex and driving your knees out. One reason the squats are hard is that you do not effectively utilize the stretch reflex at the bottom. You go too slowly when you start your ascent. Think about driving up aggressively as soon as you get your depth. Also, let you knees come slightly more forward during the first half of the squat and drive them out farther to the sides.
    Thanks for the feedback, Tom! I think the two issues were connected -- as soon as I tried to push the knees further out and forward, coming out of the bottom felt a lot easier, at least more natural. I can now understand what's the "bounce out of the bottom" is all about.

Below are two sets from today -- the knees are still a bit shaky, but the bounce and the depth are both okay (I think):

Set 2 of 3, side view at waist level:

Set 3 of 3, rear oblique:

My speed has also improved, even though it may be related to the lower weight (went to 72.5 lb that I was supposed to do on Thurs, vs 77.5 lb actually done on Thurs due to a math error).

Thanks!
    Last edited by kessg; 12-01-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: .

Depth looks a little excessive in the new videos.

That camera angle is excellent for judging depth and the fan of hamburgers is correct. You are now going far too deep. Watch your knees and your bar path at the bottom. They both go forward. You don't want that to happen. Your knees need to stay in place on the lower half of the squat. Cut your depth off to just below parallel and stay tight. You are ascending more quickly now and that is good.

Here are the updated videos. I tried to control my depth, but I might still have a slight lean coming out of the bottom position (I think). How does this look?

Work Set 3 of 3 @ 75 lb, side view at waist level:

For comparison, here's a warm-up set @ 55 lb:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

First couple like they may have been very slightly high, but it got better throughout the set.

Thanks, Hamburgerfan! I will try to aim for the depth in the reps 3 through 5.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    Thanks, Hamburgerfan! I will try to aim for the depth in the reps 3 through 5.
    Id say that last rep was about spot on. Watch that rep over and over and then next time in you're in the gym, film yourself squatting a few sets with light weight. Watch the tape immediately and see if that was the same depth. Now go back and do it again. This time really try to pay attention to spacially where you are and how it feels to hit the right depth.

Practicing this will help you to be consistent. Ofc over time you can have 'form creep' so filming and rewatching regularly is very worthwhile.