starting strength gym

Thread: Welcome to the Nutrition Q/A. Please Read Before Posting. UPDATED 3/9/14

Default Welcome to the Nutrition Q/A. Please Read Before Posting. UPDATED 3/9/14

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Before I get into introducing myself and laying some ground rules, I’d like to thank Rip and Stef for letting me host this Q/A. He thinks I’m crazy, which is fairly accurate.

As far as my background, I’ve earned a B.S. in Biology with a minor in Human Performance/Assessment, a Master’s in Anatomy and Physiology, and am working on completing my MD degree currently. Additionally, I currently hold the following professional distinctions: Starting Strength Coach, NSCA-CSCS, ACSM-HFS, USAW Level 1 Coach, and some others that I’ve let expire or don’t care to list. To complete my educational history, I’ve done some primary research in protein metabolism
    and knee mechanics, none of which has been published at this time.

Professionally, I’ve done everything from being a trainer in a commercial gym to hosting accredited seminars for other trainers, coaches, and health professionals. I’ve also been doing online training and nutritional consulting for a few years now. I’ve worked with many different populations, from young athletes to previously sedentary soccer moms. As such, I’m well aware that there’s nutritional recommendations are very individual depending on the person’s goals, level of advancement, age, sex, and history. Finally, as a competitive powerlifter in the 181lb weight class (SQ-440, BP-321, DL-551), I am experienced in how to cut weight for a meet and how to put it back on to optimize performance.

If you’ve read any of my posts you know that I tend to geek out on nutrition, as I believe it’s an important component to anyone’s performance, recovery, and progress. I try to read everything I can find on the topic, which ranges from medical literature to e-books. I probably spend more money every month on acquiring literature than I should, but I am compelled to stay up to date and form opinions on certain protocols only after implementing them on myself, or at least reading about them.

My aim for this board is to use both my experience and education to field questions pertaining to nutrition as it pertains to performance. While many threads have devolved into arguments about body-fat levels and measuring, abs, and how to be a bodybuilder while doing a strength program, this is not the function for this Q/A, although if I’m particularly bored I might allow some of these posts through just for fun. Here are a few points about what this forum is about:

1) As a nutrition forum, I’m here to talk about your nutrition questions and not argue about what you or I know about the topic. Please post questions about your own nutrition and not links to abstracts or other people’s literature. I’ve met and talked to many of the big players in the training/nutrition blogosphere. We tend to agree about most things.

2) All advice given is just for informative purposes and is not meant to constitute medical advice. Please consult with a physician or nutritionist/dietician when considering changing your diet.

3) Nutritional advice is heavily dependent on many other variables and as such, please include the following information in your posts:

· Age/Sex

· Current program (work-set weights and conditioning, if applicable)

· Current weight and BF% estimate

· Current calorie and macro total (if known)

· Question (don’t just post your stats without a question)

4) Examples of good question topics include, but are not limited, to the following:

· Adding/removing conditioning work

· Initial caloric/macro intake and subsequent tweaks

· Supplements

· Prepping for a meet

· Setting up a nutritional protocol/diet

· Compliance

5) I like debating, brainstorming, and learning as much as anyone else, but obvious trolling or sh*t stirring will be ignored or deleted. On the other hand, if you have a new study that you think is interesting and want to talk about it, we can get into that here.

New Rules

6) I'm only spending a total of 60 minutes per day working on this forum. It may take a minute to get to your post, if it's not a repetitive question I delete.

7) If you PM me about your post not getting approved/status of approval I'm going to delete it. This is a moderated forum meaning I have to approve/disapprove every thread on here. Sometimes that takes awhile....

8) You must have 25 posts before I'll approve a post here. There are lots of previous threads in this subforum where I hash out the same question over and over again. Read those first, hang out, then post if there's still a burning question.

I still do some private consulting and you can contact me at strengthmd@gmail.com

Looking forward to some good questions and thanks everybody!

-Jordan Feigenbaum

PS: You can check out more of my stuff on my blog (here) or on the Twitter (@Jordan_theCoach)
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 03-09-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: fixing some line-break formatting ugly

Also, read this before you submit a (perhaps) repetitive question:

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/uncategorized/584/
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 09-18-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Also, read this before you submit a (perhaps) repetitive question:

http://thefitcoach.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/584/
    That was a great read, and did stop me from asking a repetitive question. Thanks for the great info.

Quote Originally Posted by lopez606 View Post
    That was a great read, and did stop me from asking a repetitive question. Thanks for the great info.
    Thanks Yoshi. Hope squatting is going well