starting strength gym

Thread: Last set easier?

Default Last set easier?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My last workout and a few before that had my last set of squats and benches feeling easier than the first two sets.

Is this a lack of proper warmup maybe?

Potentially lack of proper warm-up. Also can just be a mental thing. Sometimes the first one is the hardest just because you think yourself "Fuck, i have to do two more sets of that?!!?" Once the end is in sight things can be easier for some.

It happens all the time for me. I find that I'm tighter and more in the groove later in my volume sets than at the beginning. These later sets aren't necessarily easier, though - the slightly better technique just makes them feel better.

I find the middle set is always easiest. If I finish my warmup with a single at work weight it makes the first set feel better than if I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I find the middle set is always easiest. If I finish my warmup with a single at work weight it makes the first set feel better than if I don't.

Same. First set is like "fuck this is heavy". Second set is like "ok it's not too bad and only one more to go after this one" and the third set is like "mother fuuuuucker why?".

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Same. First set is like "fuck this is heavy". Second set is like "ok it's not too bad and only one more to go after this one" and the third set is like "mother fuuuuucker why?".
    I need to wear my tinfoil hat while squatting because Corrie is reading my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    I need to wear my tinfoil hat while squatting because Corrie is reading my thoughts.
    heh. I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes through this every time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Me too. And no warm up scheme has changed that, so it's either mental or something built in to my body.