starting strength gym
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplement - What, When, Why and How

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You're not wrong about the taste! I don't know how they do it, but fuck, it taste good. I reckon the green apple explosion flavour taste better than actual apple juice.

Right now I'm on a pink lemonade kick, but I've still got 3 containers of others to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Totally possible. I believe from the last time I looked at it, about 30-40% are "non-responders" in the sense that you can get some more force production out of using it, but the health and bioenergetic benefits of using it are fairly well documented. And it's cheap. I'd keep it on my playlist if I were you.
    With the known differences in fiber type across a population it should be obvious that there will also be clear variability the effect that supplemental creatine has on muscle stores and subsequent training performance. The data support this. From a totally subjective pov I have never felt like I got much of a boost when starting (restaring) taking creatine, yet i have taken it pretty consistently for 15+ years. That is because during that time there have been periods where I stopped taking it and every time my performance dropped precipitously.

I guess the benefits from supplementation are gradual and slow enough that they are difficult to discern from normal training progression, yet the rate at which muscle stores are lost upon discontinuation and the subsequent effect on performance is fast enough to bring progression to a quick halt, or to even cause back peddling, and that makes the effect a bit more obvious.

On another note, for those freaking out at not being able to find trueprotein it is now called truenutrition.com

Right now I'm on a pink lemonade kick, but I've still got 3 containers of others to go through.
    Where'd you find xtend for cheap? I've had to mix mine w/ some Dr. Zevia to avoid the ensuing gag reflexes, so I'll probably go with xtend for the next batch.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    With the known differences in fiber type across a population it should be obvious that there will also be clear variability the effect that supplemental creatine has on muscle stores and subsequent training performance.

I guess the benefits from supplementation are gradual and slow enough that they are difficult to discern from normal training progression, yet the rate at which muscle stores are lost upon discontinuation and the subsequent effect on performance is fast enough to bring progression to a quick halt, or to even cause back peddling, and that makes the effect a bit more obvious.
    Yes the differences due to genetics probably represent about 20% of fiber type distribution max, although I'm not sold on these numbers as the experiments done are not up to my liking. I'd posit that non responders already have a high enough muscle [Creatine] so that any additional supplementation does not improve force production markedly. I'd also posit that the mitochondrial energy production effects of creatine supplementation regardless of genetic factors still make it an ergogenic aid, although for different reasons that muscle gain/strength gain.

More simply, everyone should take creatine in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    Where'd you find xtend for cheap? I've had to mix mine w/ some Dr. Zevia to avoid the ensuing gag reflexes, so I'll probably go with xtend for the next batch.
    Got a good deal through Scivation about a year ago.

Is this list in any sort of order of preference if you are starting a supplement program and can't afford or don't want to take all of these?

thanks

Top 5 in order of importance:
    1) Whey
    2) BCAA
    3) Creatine
    4) Beta Alanine
    5) Everything else

Top 5 in order of importance:
    1) Whey
    2) BCAA
    3) Creatine
    4) Beta Alanine
    5) Everything else
    0) Testosterone. It's a supplement, you actually produce a bunch of it on your own, like creatine!

Yea, lots of that stuff too.

starting strength coach development program
    My wife looked up xtend after seeing that it was on our billing to see what I was ordering. Lets just say she thought I was trying to "enhance".

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast