starting strength gym
Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplement - What, When, Why and How

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is an awesome sticky. Unfortunately the further down on the list the supplements are the more stuff is missing, like the timing and the why.

That being said, I've only questions regarding CLA and Beta-Alanine. Can they both be taken once a day (e.g. in the morning) or does the intake have to be spread throughout the day? Is the difference in effectiveness significant when taken at once or taken several times in smaller chunks?

Questions regarding CLA and beta-Alanine:

CLA:
    - does timing matter? (morning, pre-post-peri-workout, etc...)
    - is taking 4g at once per day OK?

beta-Alanine:
    - is 6g at once per day OK?
    - does it need to be cycled? (say, 12 weeks consumption, 12 weeks abstaining, repeat?)

And also, why 4g or 6g respectively? Why not 5g or whatever? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Questions regarding CLA and beta-Alanine:

CLA:
    - does timing matter? (morning, pre-post-peri-workout, etc...)
    - is taking 4g at once per day OK?
    Doesn't matter when you take it or if you take it all at once.

beta-Alanine:
    - is 6g at once per day OK?
    - does it need to be cycled? (say, 12 weeks consumption, 12 weeks abstaining, repeat?)
    No, more than 3g at a time doesn't get absorbed and no it doesn't need to be cycled.

And also, why 4g or 6g respectively? Why not 5g or whatever? Just curious.
    B/C that's what the research shows is efficacious.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Hey Jordan,

I got my hands on 200g of 4:1:1 BCAA's for free. I normally take 10g of 2:1:1 BCAA pre with 30g WMS.

Knowing that Isoleucine and Valine are equally important, and that 4:1:1 ratio is not really needed, should I be concerned with taking a little more than 10g to try to get more of these 2 aminos, or would that be wasteful and just stick with the 10g?

FWIW, I have a pre workout meal about 2.5 hours before consisting of whey, milk, and pb&j on Ezekiel bread.

Thanks.
    I would just stick with 10g, since you're not using it fasted.

Hi Jordan,

I am taking 10g BCAAs immediately pre and post workout. my pre and post workout meal is 90 minutes apart from the BCAAs and involves 40g Carbs from WMS and 50g whey. Am I better off taking the WMS with the BCAAs immediately pre and post workout?

Also, is WMS or Dextrose a better option for these carbs?

thanks as always for this font of knowledge

I'd probably do 30g WMS or dextrose with BCAAs and then some fiber containing carbs later with whey. Alternatively, you could just eat a whole food meal instead of the whey. WMS and dextrose are about the same, more or less.

Jordan,

I acquired a couple bottles of NSI Juiced. What is your recommended dosage & timing?

Thanks.

Jordan, thanks to you I've started supplementing with Optimum Nutrition's Creatine for the first time in my short lifting career. and I'm seeing some great gains from it. Im currently taking 5 grams of creatine, as you recommended. but, how about training days? do i just take my 5 grams of creatine post workout with Waxy maze and BCAA, or is this addition to the daily 5G of creatine. Im sorry if this question has been answered. i couldn't find an answer for it.

Just wanted to help you muscle bros out squeeze out some extra gainzZz from your training. At the moment Amazon has a 50% off coupon on "subscribe-and-save" items, if you don't already have a subscription. I was hoping for some whey to be included in the list but alas, no luck. I scoured the list and in my opinion the best deal was the NOW foods beta alanine. My order came out to $13.78 with the code "SNSPRIME". Afterwards you can just cancel your subscription. Go forth and lift heavy and often.

Link: http://goo.gl/tTG6Pi

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Jordan,
    quick question: Astaxanthin. Called the 'king of cartenoids', an antioxidant, it claims to:
    a) destroy free radicals (sounds like a nazi headhunter)
    b) improve eye and brain health
    c) prevents low-grade inflammation and improves the cardiovascular system. Supposedly, athletes recover from training much quicker and it protects their joints.
    d) prevent cancer (of course)

Why I might take it: to improve overall health and energy levels, not be so "bummed out" during the winter time when it's cloudy, foggy and cold. Would Astaxanthin be any more efficient than a strong cup of coffee?
    I think it was recommended by dr. Oz some years ago so I'm naturally wary of it.

So, bullshit or no bullshit?

Thanks!

Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast