starting strength gym
Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplement - What, When, Why and How

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Caldwell View Post
    Jordan,

I acquired a couple bottles of NSI Juiced. What is your recommended dosage & timing?

Thanks.
    It's on the bottle. It's pretty good stuff and I can attest that the dosing and timing are correct on the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by luvwofear View Post
    Jordan, thanks to you I've started supplementing with Optimum Nutrition's Creatine for the first time in my short lifting career. and I'm seeing some great gains from it. Im currently taking 5 grams of creatine, as you recommended. but, how about training days? do i just take my 5 grams of creatine post workout with Waxy maze and BCAA, or is this addition to the daily 5G of creatine. Im sorry if this question has been answered. i couldn't find an answer for it.
    I would just take 5g (your daily creatine) whenever you normally take it so you don't forget to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    Hi Jordan,
    quick question: Astaxanthin. Called the 'king of cartenoids', an antioxidant, it claims to:
    a) destroy free radicals (sounds like a nazi headhunter)
    b) improve eye and brain health
    c) prevents low-grade inflammation and improves the cardiovascular system. Supposedly, athletes recover from training much quicker and it protects their joints.
    d) prevent cancer (of course)

Why I might take it: to improve overall health and energy levels, not be so "bummed out" during the winter time when it's cloudy, foggy and cold. Would Astaxanthin be any more efficient than a strong cup of coffee?
    I think it was recommended by dr. Oz some years ago so I'm naturally wary of it.

So, bullshit or no bullshit?

Thanks!
    It's BS. I would recommend vitamin D and some sun lamps over this stuff.

Dear Mr. 700,

Is Calcium β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate an acceptable form of HMB?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    Hi Jordan,
    quick question: Astaxanthin. Called the 'king of cartenoids', an antioxidant, it claims to:
    a) destroy free radicals (sounds like a nazi headhunter)
    b) improve eye and brain health
    c) prevents low-grade inflammation and improves the cardiovascular system. Supposedly, athletes recover from training much quicker and it protects their joints.
    d) prevent cancer (of course)

Why I might take it: to improve overall health and energy levels, not be so "bummed out" during the winter time when it's cloudy, foggy and cold. Would Astaxanthin be any more efficient than a strong cup of coffee?
    I think it was recommended by dr. Oz some years ago so I'm naturally wary of it.

So, bullshit or no bullshit?

Thanks!
    Hey buddy, I still have received that liquor you promised me!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    Dear Mr. 700,

Is Calcium β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate an acceptable form of HMB?

Thank you.
    Yep, itzZz good.

Thought's on phosphatidic acid? 54 page thread on bb.com forums in two weeks http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=164295351 but as usual I'll see what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    Thought's on phosphatidic acid? 54 page thread on bb.com forums in two weeks http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=164295351 but as usual I'll see what you have to say.
    Eh, the preliminary data is pretty good (though underpowered, as one might expect) but the real big issue is this: none of them have controlled for protein intake just yet. It is bioavailable (Pupura 2013) and there are placebo controlled studies showing it increases LBM, strength, and muscle CSA ( Hoffman 2013, Joy 2012). However, since this is supposed to work through mTOR and both training and dietary protein intake are critically important to mTOR signaling...I'd wait until I saw some data showing that compared to placebo, phosphatidic acid is superior with equal training and leucine intakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Eh, the preliminary data is pretty good (though underpowered, as one might expect) but the real big issue is this: none of them have controlled for protein intake just yet. It is bioavailable (Pupura 2013) and there are placebo controlled studies showing it increases LBM, strength, and muscle CSA ( Hoffman 2013, Joy 2012). However, since this is supposed to work through mTOR and both training and dietary protein intake are critically important to mTOR signaling...I'd wait until I saw some data showing that compared to placebo, phosphatidic acid is superior with equal training and leucine intakes.
    Alright cool.

Default Basic supplement regime

Hey, I am taking creatine + whey + basic multi + fish oil + milk. I like to KISS (keep it simple, stupid ) wrt brogramming and supps.

I was thinking about complicating my life slightly and adding BCAA and or beta alanine? Would these be the logical next step in supp stack? (I read Jordan's AMA and I think this was part of his simple supplement regime for one guy). Are BCAAs useful for non fasted lifters?

Quote Originally Posted by slinkyfit View Post
    Hey, I am taking creatine + whey + basic multi + fish oil + milk. I like to KISS (keep it simple, stupid ) wrt brogramming and supps.

I was thinking about complicating my life slightly and adding BCAA and or beta alanine? Would these be the logical next step in supp stack? (I read Jordan's AMA and I think this was part of his simple supplement regime for one guy). Are BCAAs useful for non fasted lifters?
    Did you read this sticky?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Did you read this sticky?
    I did. Out of the 15 supps listed, I tried to pick two (on top of my current basic regime) that have the most bang for the buck. With BCAA, I assume the reasoning listed holds true whether fasted or not, but I wanted to make sure.

Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast