starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The functional movement screening

Default The functional movement screening

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is being pushed pretty hard at my workplace right now and its going to be mandatory to have it in the next couple weeks. I haven't had time to even attend the instructional class yet let alone to take the test so i really have no opinion that. Has anyone else had experience with it? What do you think of it?

The CSCS crowd really has a hard on for it.

What kind of bizarre workplace do you work in where this sort of happy horseshit is discussed?

A commercial gym. I'm skeptical about it but I'm not a seasoned veteran so i thought I'd reach out and hope dastardly replies! Just kidding!!!! Sheeesh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    The CSCS crowd really has a hard on for it.
    Is cscs a good cert? I'm getting herded like a sheep in the direction of it.

Sounds good to me. Similar to something I formulated myself for when I coach IRL. Many people have a whole lot of basic movement patterns/body control/mobility issues to address before jumping the gun.

Some people are good to go from the outset, but it takes hardly any time to run through a few things which also help form the foundation of technique awareness for weighted lifts/resistance training.

For when you coach what?

More or less what JC wrote above. It's main utility is giving it's practitioners some way to assess movement, even if that way is contrived, not particularly effective, and flawed, in the absence of a clear and analysis-based movement model and ability to actually evaluate real movement against that model.

It may be better than nothing, but if it is, only for those who don't know how to really evaluate movement. You know, when people are actually lifting.

Paul, I'm surprised this is just getting to you now. It's been pushed in NYC for years.

*Edit: I'd like to note that I say this from experience. I took the full 2-day workshop, given by one of the founders, a few years ago. And performed at least several dozen FM Screens in my capacity as an employee of a commercial gym at that time.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Yeah it's just recently been seeping in. Initially all managers were trained for it and then someone had the bright idea to make it mandatory for everyone. I still haven't got round to taking the class and clearance test though. Think I'll wait till they notice rather than try and find some time. On a funnier note, I'm also not cleared to use the ViPR with clients as i half arsed the class and instantly erased it from my mind.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    This is being pushed pretty hard at my workplace right now and its going to be mandatory to have it in the next couple weeks. I haven't had time to even attend the instructional class yet let alone to take the test so i really have no opinion that. Has anyone else had experience with it? What do you think of it?
    Weren't we talking about this in the thread before your interview a year or two back?

Check out the overview... http://www.advanced-fitness-concepts.com/fms.pdf ... Consider yourself trained on the system :-)

Looking at those pics, i've actually seen those red and white measuring devices at my gym but never made the connection that the FMS is THAT fms. Though they're scattered and i don't think i've ever seen a trainer actually use them as intended. I did do shoulder dislocates with the round piece a couple of times though.

What's your concern about it ? Looking at those pics though i'll note that doing SS has made me stronger and more mobile in almost all of those motions and positions. Lunging is somewhat of a separate skill that you have to practice and maybe some shoulder mobility work and hamstring stretches would help. (and i've grown to like planks) Overall though the basic exercises done correctly can probably fix what ails you in most of those movements.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast