starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HamptonMike's Log

Default HamptonMike's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Finally decided to start a log here. I've kept a written one since 2009.

Stats
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 196

I have been training off and on for the last 4 years. I think I've made all the mistakes that one could make in that time. These include changing programs too frequently, not milking the LP the first time through, mentally beating myself up after missing a lift, and generally being lazy at times.

4/9/13
    I had the pleasure to attend the SS Camp this past weekend at Mac and Gillian's Gym, CCSC. Jordan was the lead coach for the camp. I wish I would have attended a camp or a seminar earlier in my training. Jordan quickly pointed out some positional errors with my squat. That is the good part. The bad part is that I have squatted this way for almost 4 years. I thought that I was doing it correctly all along. I'm happy to have the feedback because it will only make me stronger in the future.

That being said... I am basically learning a "new movement". Fun, fun. Before the camp I was working a LP and my working weight for sets across was 290. After tweaking some things at the camp and almost getting stapled by 275 in front of 10 people, I lowered my working weight to 255.

Squat
    45x10x2, 95x5x2, 135x5x2, 185x3, 225x2, 255x5x3. Felt hard.
    Bench
    45x10, 95x5, 135x3, 165x2, 192x5,4,4
    Chins

Good to see you on here Mike. Just curious...what tweaks did Jordan make?

John, it was just 3-4 slight changes. 1. Knees more forward 2. Knees out more 3. Hand position out more 4. Chest up. In thinking about these changes since the camp, I have believe I have been trying to maintain too horizontal of a back angle. I have been trying to groove these new changes with lots of reps at low weight. I am definetely weaker in this position at this time but I know that it will help overall.

Much better day today. I did quite a few reps at low weight on 4/10/12 trying to get the feel of how I should be squatting.

Squat: 265x5x3 Easy.
    Press: 144x5,3,3 Whoops
    Deadlift: 315x5 Easy.

I really felt a good rebound on the squats today. Changed my eye gaze slightly and focused on getting my knees forward more than previously. This let my knees stay out more easily and really lock my back in place. I guess I had such a fear of doing a high bar squat in the past that I went the other way and did more of a goodmorning. Anyway, I'm very pleased with how my squat felt today.
    Press felt great on the first set then just died after that. Slightly tired today. Nutrition a little less than optimal.
    Deadlift: Easy. Focused on staying over the bar longer. Felt strong. Slow and steady from here.

Today felt great. Took my time between work sets and made sure I had eaten well beforehand.

Squat: 275 3x5 Easy
    Bench: 194 3x5 Best bench session in a very long time.
    Chins: 9/9/9

Squats felt awesome. My widened grip makes it easier to keep my chest up and getting my knees to track forward over my feet feels great. I filmed my bench recently and noticed that I had a hard time keeping my forearms vertical as I lowered the weight. I was doing some stupid LTE/bench hybrid. Gee, I wonder why I always had trouble with my bench. These felt great and I could have gotten more reps if needed. Psyched about moving forward.

Squat: 225 2x5
    Press: 144 3x5
    Deadlift: 325x5

My work schedule makes it hard for me to 1. lift after work and 2. schedule appropriate rest days in between training sometimes. Eventually, it will make a 4 day intermediate program work well. Before the SS Squat camp I was doing front squats on Day 2 but since I'm drilling my technique, I am now doing a light back squat day. The warmup with the bar was slow and sore. I did lots of sets to loosen up and get a good stretch. Press felt good. Nice to nail it after the previous press day. Deadlift was inspired by John Bonham on Moby Dick. Thank you, Pandora.

Squat: 285x5x3
    Last set was the best set.

Bench: 196x5x3
    Hard.

Power Clean: 135x3x5
    Easy. Focused on opening the hips on the jump.

Good day. Finally restocked our whey protein and supplements in the house.

Dude, John Bonham.....I thought I was the only one! Nice lifting man. I'll finally be back in town for more than like 4 days this coming week. I'll get over to this garage of yours for sure.

Jordan, Just let me know so I can stock up on Froyo and bourbon. PWO, of course.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 295 3x5
    Press 145 5,4,5 Really?!
    Pullups 11,9,8

Good day. Squat felt great today. Last rep of set three was maybe a little high and I definitely had TUT. Walter would have the Dude to mark it zero. I'm within 15 lbs of my best working sets. I also only had one day of rest.
    Press felt good except for the second set. I got a sharp pain in the palm of my hand and tried to adjust my grip for the next rep but was distracted. Oh well.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast