Deadlift 135x5 225x4 315x3 365x1 410x3,4
    Hang Clean 45x3 65x3 85x3 95x3 115x3x5

2/18/15
    Bench 45x10 95x8 135x5 185x3 225x1 260x3x4 PR 225x5
    Press 45x7 95x5 130x5x5
    Pull-ups BWx36 total
    DB Rows 30x10, 50x8x3
    TKEs left x 20 x 2

...shit. I may have a partial tear in my bicep - a tendon, part of the muscle belly, I don't know. I've got a bruise up near my right anterior delt, which I didn't notice until I hopped in the shower. I'd like to believe I just whacked myself doing DB rows, but it's more likely I've torn something because I hurt myself every other time I touch a damn barbell. One rep on bench got a little out of the groove, but I didn't feel any acute pain while working out. Pull-ups, maybe? Haven't done those in a long time...

I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but if there is a partial tear, I really don't want it to become a full tear (obviously). Not sure what I should do at this point, other than ice, NSAIDs, and rest - and whether I should leave any other lifts out of the equation for a while.
    Last edited by Christopher John; 02-18-2015 at 08:19 PM.

If there's bruising visible, that suggests a muscle tear as tendons aren't really that well vascularized. But up near your delt isn't really the biceps muscle belly either. Are you sure it's the biceps? Perhaps the corachobrachialis? A picture of the bruise might help locate the precise muscle. I'd look into the Starr rehab protocol. You want to minimize scar tissue in the muscle for obvious long term reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    If there's bruising visible, that suggests a muscle tear as tendons aren't really that well vascularized. But up near your delt isn't really the biceps muscle belly either. Are you sure it's the biceps? Perhaps the corachobrachialis? A picture of the bruise might help locate the precise muscle. I'd look into the Starr rehab protocol. You want to minimize scar tissue in the muscle for obvious long term reasons.
    Van, I think you're right.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Christopher John; 02-19-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added picture

The yellowish spot on your upper arm? That looked like you hit yourself with the dumbbell. A torn muscle would be all manners of black and blue and much bigger. And it'd hurt. Bad.

And a partial tear of the tendon would stiffen up and hurt like hell after sleep. If you didn't notice some serious pain with limited ROM, I'd train through it with pain being your guide.

The yellowish spot on your upper arm?
    That's the one.

That looked like you hit yourself with the dumbbell. A torn muscle would be all manners of black and blue and much bigger.
    That's what I've been hoping. Woke up this morning a bit stiffer with a hint of pain when I raise my arm in front of me or overhead (I'd say only 2/10), but not when it's still by my side. The arm as a whole feels a little...mmm..off? Thanks for taking a look and the input. I'm going to play it pretty safe with this because I don't want it to turn into something like my knee.

For a bruise, heat is going to help more than ice. Essentially you need the blood flow to remove all the heme and cellular debris which make up the bruise.

Because I consider it a personal mission to educate every doc on pain because you sure as hell won't be taught correctly......Coming from someone who's been on both sides of the pain table, I've found something similar to scale to be better than just a simple number. It's helpful for me to determine when a therapy/activity is helping or hurting much more objectively. Likewise, I've seen too many patients tell me their pain is 8/10 while smiling. It's based on level of impairment of functionality which is what we as docs are, or should be, trying to treat. Not just trying to make them feel better. And I can tell you when I cross over from 5ish to 7, my wife knows it and gets the hell out of Dodge.

Pain Scale designed by Andrea Mankoski, ©1995,

0 - Pain free

1 - Very minor annoyance - occasional minor twinges.

2 - Minor annoyance - occasional strong twinges.

3 - Annoying enough to be distracting.

4 - Can be ignored if you are really involved in your work, but still distracting.

5 - Can't be ignored for more than 30 minutes.

6 - Can't be ignored for any length of time, but you can still go to work and participate in social activities.

7 - Makes it difficult to concentrate, interferes with sleep You can still function with effort.

8 - Physical activity severely limited. You can read and converse with effort. Nausea and dizziness set in as factors of pain.

9 - Unable to speak. Crying out or moaning uncontrollably - near delirium.

10 - Unconscious. Pain makes you pass out.

*Mankoski pain scale*
    Believe it or not, this is the exact scale I was going by

I'm at a 1 today. Been doing some light dumbbell shit that's not really worth posting. Tried some air squats to test my knee. Also ramping up my TKEs, but lifting is going to stay on the backburner until after Wednesday - got my first interview...dunh dunh dunhhhhh

Good luck. I know it sounds corny but it really is good advice to just be yourself. The only question I would have pre-thought an outline to is, "tell me about yourself". When you think about it, it's actually a good question. If you can't answer that coherently and cogently and find a way to distinguish yourself, you don't belong there. Being a musician and knowing how to play a crowd will help you. I'm sure some way of working in classic jazz will make you connect as more mature. Oh, and one other thing, do NOT analyze the interview during the interview. Even if you get a HORRIBLE vibe from the interviewer. I thought I bombed an interview with the freaking Dean of Admissions, I mean stick a fork in me I was done bad, and she ended up rating me highly. So just be yourself and don't let them rattle you.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, I'm back.

I ran the Starr rehab protocol (starting with the bar x 25 x 3 doing bench press plus some light [<20lbs] high-rep, db curls) for my right shoulder/bicep/pec, and it feels 95% back to normal, so I believe that was the right call.

After doing a lot of reading, it appears the likeliest source of my knee pain is medial plica irriation (both knees) and pes anserine bursitis. I have wicked tight quads/hip flexors and calves/ankles/lower legs in general, so I've been stretching and foam rolling those suckers every day. I've also been sitting in the squat position periodically for as long as I can stand it (from 1min initially up to about 3.5mins, now). SSD posted somewhere (his log?) about Helios - a supplement from Jamie Lewis's CnP company - that's supposed to help with tendon and ligament inflammation, and I thought I'd give it a try. Maybe it's partially the placebo effect, but it feels like it's helped in the three days I've been taking it. You get a warm sensation at the injury site, then the volume knob of the irritation gets turned down a few clicks.

I got under the bar again today and let sensation be my guide. The slow gainz train is leaving the station, y'all.

3/6/15
    LBBS 45x5x2 95x5 135x5x3
    OHP 45x10 85x5 115x5x3
    DL 135x5 225

Solid. No knee discomfort.

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast