starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Client Testimonials

Default Client Testimonials

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys, I wanted to give a testimonial of my time working with Jordan Feigenbaum. I'd first like to point out that he did not ask me to write this or even hint that he would like me to. I offered because of how impressed I have been with his service.

I have been receiving nutrition and programming consulting from Jordan for the past 4 months. I have been lifting for about 6 or 7 years, and I've always just gone it alone, but I decided I needed some help if I was going to reach the goals I had in mind. I had always been disappointed with my aesthetics (always felt I was "skinny fat"), but I always told myself I cared more about strength anyways. Problem was, I wasn't that strong either. Jordan took all of my goals into consideration, and I am now stronger and leaner than I've ever been.

Another important point is how much I have learned during this consultation. It's not just that Jordan told me what to do, and I did it (although that did happen). Through all of his answers to my questions and watching the adjustments he has made in response to my progress, I feel like I know more about lifting and nutrition than I ever have. It's not like I wasn't trying before either; I have read Starting Strength, PPST, followed these forums for years, and read various other diet and exercise books and e-books. Working with someone who really knows what they are doing teaches you more than that ever could though.

A quick side point about Jordan's thoroughness. I am a pretty detail-oriented person (the word "anal" has been used), and I ask a ton of questions. In 4 months, Jordan and I have exchanged over 200 e-mails. His responses always came within 24 hours (usually in less than 5), and they were always complete and never sounded condescending or irritated. It really helped me feel confident I was doing the right things.

So, now for some before and after pictures. Here's the first picture I sent Jordan, February 23, 2013. I weighed about 195 and was 27.5% BF according to dexa (and that was after I had "dieted down" from 210 on my own). The experience of going from 210 to 195 but feeling like I looked no different is what made me decide I needed some guidance. It wasn't just a feeling either, dexa confirmed that of the 15 lbs I lost on my own, 8 lbs of it was lean mass. Not good.

So, here's one after two months of consultation from Jordan. BW about 180.

And here's after 4 months. BW is 167 (we are currently adding food to start bringing this back up), dexa puts me at 17.5%, which means in 4 months consulting with Jordan, I lost about 30 lbs, and it was almost entirely fat. AND I got stronger in all lifts the whole time; I am currently making all-time PRs (at 30-40 lbs less BW, no less) in all lifts except the squat (explained below). It is by far the best progress I have ever made.

The squat is the only lift I am not currently at life-time PR numbers in, but that is secondary to my having developed bilateral patellar tendinosis (or at least some kind of anterior knee pain) BEFORE starting my consultation with Jordan. That being said, my squats and knees have been getting better the entire time I've been working with Jordan. One recent PR is a 200 lb bench at 165. For reference, when I was 210 lbs, I benched 195. Just so you know I'm not totally BSing the lifting, below are a couple vids of my recent lifting.

DL 360 at 170 or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_xG6wf6Og
    DL 345x5, Squat 215x3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epK0zAw4EPI

So, in summary, if you are thinking about getting consultation from Jordan, do it. It is worth what he charges and more. In 4 months, I have gotten stronger and leaner than I have ever been in 6 years of trying on my own, and I'm sure strength will only go up as I start to add more food/bodyweight back in.
    Last edited by RickBarker; 07-23-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: grammar; technological learning

Default Client Testimonials

Okay, needed a place for these as they come in. I don't ask people to write them, but sometimes they do anyway and I figured I'd post them for all to read (with their permission).

Keep up the great work! Both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by lopez606 View Post
    Keep up the great work! Both of you!
    Thanks Yoshi!

Well done Rick! And Jordan!

Client Name: Barry C.

Duration of Consult: 16 weeks ongoing

Before and After pics (if applicable or desired):

Weight/Strength Changes: My goal has been to maintain weight for local (recreational) powerlifting competition at 198lbs (Masters 2, +50yrs old). My estimated BF% before Jordan’s intervention was 17-19% and is currently estimated at 15-17%. Weight has been intentionally stable.

Strength gains in the first 12 weeks were, 10% for squat and deadlift, 5% for bench press, and 3% on overhead press. We believe that this is sustainable for quite a few training cycles.

I plan on competing 2-3x a year and am very happy with these gains.

Working with Jordan has been a very positive experience across all aspects of training. Information exchanged has been fast, relevant, and clear. Equally important, he has very high standards for scientific integrity. By that I mean, adherence to the scientific method, thorough review of the published literature, and healthy skepticism.

I would not advise using Jordan if you are looking for a quick fix or are interested in the latest fad. Also, if you tend to make a lot of excuses and are not willing to work hard, this will probably not work for you. On the other hand, if you are ready to take things seriously and you value a straightforward rational approach to strength training and nutrition, this approach will work.

Jordan provides me my exact lifting schedule and daily nutrition targets. And while the compliance is all on me (he is not standing behind me during each rep or set, nor is he preparing each meal and snack), this level of coaching allows for me to maintain a very busy work and family schedule and to still achieve my goals. Simply put, I find this service to be of great value and producing excellent results.

Client Name: Leah L. (scteacher)

Duration of Consult: 8 months

Weight/Strength Changes:
    Weight- 40 lbs lost
    Waist-6 inches lost
    Hips-6 inches lost
    Squat- have progress from the SSB, to HBBS, and now LBBS 210x5x3
    Deadlift- was 188x5, now 240x4
    Bench- was 20# DB x5, now 100x3
    Press- was 5# DB x5, now 88x5

Testimonial:

I first signed on with Jordan when I was several months post-RC repair surgery. My surgery wasn’t as simple as I’d hoped, and my recovery was proving to be a challenge for me, mentally and physically. I needed some direction and guidance. I have been morbidly obese in the past, and while I had lost enough weight to move into the overweight category, my shoulder injury and subsequent rehab left me confused about my future progress and fitness direction.

When I started with Jordan, I had several goals: continue to rehab my shoulder, lose 50 pounds, and return to getting stronger. I have made significant progress on each of these goals: with careful, steady progress, I have very little shoulder pain and my ROM is excellent, I’m back to even more shoulder work than I was doing before my injury, I’ve lost 40 pounds now, and on top of all of this, I’ve also continued to make steady progress in my training. Every single one of my lifts is improving, and to top it all off, in the midst of dieting and training, I feel better than ever while training. My recovery is fantastic, I’m injury-free, the nagging aches and pains from over-training in the past are gone. There is no question that it has been a lot of work, and his plan demands a high level of commitment, but that is exactly what I need. To sum it all up, I couldn’t be happier with my progress while working with Jordan!

A key component of my progress has been the very clear guidance that Jordan provides each week. His training and nutrition plans have been understandable and challenging, often pushing me to do more than I think I am capable of, yet very realistic for me. There are many times when I have questions or concerns, and Jordan is always quick to answer them with detail and care. He’s great at balancing the science, encouragement, and the reality of hard work whenever I need it. Early on, he told me that the more I understand, the better I’ll do. He’s stayed extraordinarily committed to providing me with facts, support, coaching, and sources for even more information.

There’s a lot more to sticking with your goals than just the facts though, and Jordan’s been a great encourager through my times of success and my struggles with slow progress. I’m pretty convinced that with my wide-ranging goals, past weight and food struggles, and slightly obsessive personality, I must be the toughest client someone like Jordan could ever dream of, but I never, ever get that feeling from him.

Excellent work Rick and Jordan. Really impressive. Rick if you don't mind me asking, what is your age/height?

Cheers

I didn't realize that I hadn't put that in there. 27 and about 5'11" - 6'.

Default Weightcut Testimonial

starting strength coach development program
    Hi all,

Haven't posted here in a long while and mainly just keep up with the nutrition section as my focus has shifted from becoming as strong as possible to becoming a top level grappler/fighter.

Recently I needed to drop a weightclass to the 160lb division. I was walking around at about 175 and the competition required day of (minutes before the competition) weigh ins. I knew that I could prob get down to the weight through my own devices but also knew I would not have any energy or strength.

I detailed the process in the following posts (posted with Jordan's permission):

http://www.pioneerfitnessla.com/nutr...p-nogi-worlds/
    http://www.pioneerfitnessla.com/nogi...tcut-check-in/
    http://www.pioneerfitnessla.com/nogi...-night-before/
    http://www.pioneerfitnessla.com/post-worlds-thoughts/

To summarize all those....Jordan got me down to the weight and I was able to maintain a 2 (sometimes 3) a day training workload all the way up to competition. Furthermore, during competition I felt as I always have at the weight class above (177).

I cannot recommend Jordan enough as he is a great mix of professional and casual. I continue to keep him on as my "nutritionist" bc his wealth of knowledge is worth way more than the price he asks.

Anyway, thank you Jordan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast