starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas method modifications

Default Texas method modifications

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi I'm trying to increase my bench so I've been benching on every volume and intensity day and leaving ohp as an accessory on Wednesday. My bench has been progressing nicely. But my ohp has not. I still want to have some progression in ohp but I'm not sure of the volume and intensity. I don't want to it to hinder my bench. Thanks

What you're doing isn't unusual for trainees geared toward powerlifting (though I'm not sure I'd quite call it a powerlifting program, but whatevs). If your bench is progressing your press should be as well, tho maybe not at the same pace. What are you increasing each every week?

Also what are your current working weights (VD and ID bench; press) and how are you programming presses on Weds?
    Last edited by Milo's Ghost; 08-27-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Is the Texas method a poor choice for powerlifting?Anyways I always increase by the smallest increment which is 1.25 kg on each side. So far for bench. This has been manageable, but for ohp I struggled to complete the same reps of the same weight from previous week.

Quote Originally Posted by Firef1st View Post
    Is the Texas method a poor choice for powerlifting?Anyways I always increase by the smallest increment which is 1.25 kg on each side. So far for bench. This has been manageable, but for ohp I struggled to complete the same reps of the same weight from previous week.
    Struggle, or don't make reps?

Add less weight to your press, however you need to. 160.2lbs 3x5 is a bigger workload than 161.25lbs 3x4 or even than 2x5, 1x4.

Micro load.

KSC has a great ass template for this in his Heavy Light Medium pt 2 article on his website.

Basically.

Day 1 - Heavy / Intensity Bench
    Day 2 - Press
    Day 3 - CLOSE Grip Bench (volume)

the close grip will def help with the press and your bench. Maybe add in some back off press sets on that wednesday workout too. get a smidge more volume in with your usual 3x5 work.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    KSC has a great ass template for this in his Heavy Light Medium pt 2 article on his website.

Basically.

Day 1 - Heavy / Intensity Bench
    Day 2 - Press
    Day 3 - CLOSE Grip Bench (volume)

the close grip will def help with the press and your bench. Maybe add in some back off press sets on that wednesday workout too. get a smidge more volume in with your usual 3x5 work.
    Wise words, but I expect that from a sage turtle.

Nah man I am just reguitating what KSC/Andy said in these articles (which I think are quite excellent! and apply to texas method peeps more than they think)

http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...uction-squats/

http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...rt-2-pressing/

http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...art-3-pulling/

all three of them are worth a thorough reading.

And I think Andy touches on something very cool for the HLM that can very effectively be used in a texas methodish method.

The idea of rotating exercise and training different modalities.

Just a simple idea is the idea of three different presses. Your comp bench being your heavy day, press being your "light" day, and close grip (in a volume texas method scheme) being your medium.

That setup has you training your pressing muscles 3x a week, but three different modalities.

This is something when Pendlay was asked how he messed with TM, he did the same thing. Even at one point having a volume day (medium), a front squat day (light), and on his intensity/heavy day rotating through 2 or 3 ME style squat variations.

just some blurbs of thought. None of my original thoughts just connecting dots. I really dig Andy's approach to training. Especiall what most would label as intermediate / advanced.

So how would I implement this into the Texas method programme? Bench 5x5 on volume day, ohp 3x5 on recovery day and close grip bench 3x5 on intensity day? What about hitting new 5rm on Friday for bench. And is 3x5 a week enough for ohp? Where would cgb go? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Ghost View Post
    What you're doing isn't unusual for trainees geared toward powerlifting (though I'm not sure I'd quite call it a powerlifting program, but whatevs). If your bench is progressing your press should be as well, tho maybe not at the same pace. What are you increasing each every week?

Also what are your current working weights (VD and ID bench; press) and how are you programming presses on Weds?
    Why not?

I ask because powerlifting is the direction I want to go in, eventually, and I am currently doing TM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Firef1st View Post
    So how would I implement this into the Texas method programme? Bench 5x5 on volume day, ohp 3x5 on recovery day and close grip bench 3x5 on intensity day? What about hitting new 5rm on Friday for bench. And is 3x5 a week enough for ohp? Where would cgb go? Thanks.
    if it was me Id run it heavy light medium style.

Monday (or whenever your day 1 is) - Heavy Bench Press (5 singles, 5rm, 3rm, 6rm, 8rm, something maximal you could even work to 1-2rep max for that day then back off 85-90% of that number and hit a few sets)
    Wednesday (or your day 2) - Press 5 sets of 3, take some weight off and hit like 1 or 2 back off sets, or even toss in some DB pressing for 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps
    Friday (or day 3) - close grip bench 5x5 sets across

Honestly thats how id do it, using stuff ive read from KSC. I think CG bench for a volume day type setup can be amazing to spurt regular bench and press progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast