starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats: first set is always the hardest

Default Squats: first set is always the hardest

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In my short three months with SS, it never fails that my first work set of squats is the hardest. I know that if I make it through the first set, I can do all three. I use the warm up protocol in The Book, sometimes a little more here or there to make plate changing easier. For example, I did these over the weekend:

2x5 45
    1x5 75
    1x3 115
    1x2 155
    3x5 195 work sets

Is this normal or do I need more warm up or something?

Regards,

Male, 49, 5'8" 150lbs

Quote Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
    In my short three months with SS, it never fails that my first work set of squats is the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    2nd set ALWAYS feels the best.

Always.
    Why can't I hold all these feels...

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    2nd set ALWAYS feels the best.

Always.
    Same for me. The second set is almost a joyous thing.

For a while, to help with the first set, I was adding a final warm-up set that was one rep at the work-sets weight + 5 lbs. The work sets then felt a little like back-off sets. Then, one day I just kept going with that last warm-up set and did 5 reps. That made me think: fuck it, no extra warm-up set at a higher weight. The sooner I get started on the work sets, the sooner they're done. And, man, does my mood change for the better when they're done.

It takes a while for the spunkamine to reach the spunkamine receptors.

OP, one thing you might want to do is narrow the gap between weights as you reach your work set. Try something like 45-95-135-170-195, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    It takes a while for the spunkamine to reach the spunkamine receptors.
    I thought it might be that his meanmutherickles are failing to produce enough meanmotherfuckostererone. However, I'll defer to the expert in your assessment.

For me, the first set is a scary set. On the SS/LP program, I'm either doing the first set of a new weight or doing the first set of a weight I failed at previously. Once I get that first set done, I'm pretty confident the other two are going up, making those sets feel much better.

Lot of good suggestions here. I like to add a final warmup rep in between the set of 2 and the worksets. I use the typical warmup calculations, then split the last increase in half and add a single. So:

45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x2
    205x1
    225x5x3

Also, make sure you're doing the set of 2 and the single with your belt on. The point of the warmups is to get ready, so I like to make sure I'm feeling the form the way it'll be during the worksets.

Also, you might not be resting enough? I usually do all my warmups without any more rest than it takes the time to load the plates. Then I rest 3 minutes after the last warmup before my first work set.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

The first or third sets have always been the hardest for me--first because it feels goddamn heavy, third because I'm goddamn exhausted. Second usually flies through and looks the best.

As others have suggested, you may want to take smaller jumps in your later warmups. My last warmup is always reasonably close to my workset (within 30 lbs), just because I've found that to work best. But I really am convinced that warmups are mostly an individual preference.

starting strength coach development program
    The first set is hard because of the adrenaline and intimidation factor, and third requires a bit of praying because of exhaustion. I usually front load my warm up sets that are for more volume and then run singles until about 90% of my working set.

For example, for todays training I did

45x8x2
    135x5
    185x3
    245x2
    295x1
    330x5x3

When i did intensity at 400 or so

45x8x2
    135x5
    185x3
    245x2