starting strength gym

Thread: Lydia's first form check video.. squats at 40kg

Smile Lydia's first form check video.. squats at 40kg

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there

I've been squatting since March, got up to 57.5kg before I went on holiday and have had a couple of deloads since, mainly to work on form. Mostly, I've been trying to get those ol' knees out, but also was going far too deep so have been fixing that the last couple of weeks. This was my second set - the rack next to me that I was using to prop my running shoe on to prop my phone in got taken after this.

My other issue that I deloaded for was my squats turning into half good-mornings on the way back up under a heavy load.

Your thoughts and ideas most gratefully received - things have already improved massively in the couple of weeks I've been lurking here!

Many thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpck...e_gdata_player

YouTube claims that your video does not exist. Link issue?

I've checked this, it seems to play ok :-)

Okay, not bad. You have some of the fundamentals down. Let's adjust a few things.

Unracking the bar: I can't see this part of the lift, although I would like to. I wager, by where your feet and hips are, that you're are unracking the bar with the weight forward of the mid foot. That's okay now, but you will want to unrack a heavy weight as close to your center of gravity as possible. Address that next time you get under the bar - from empty bar sets to work sets.

Your wrists appear very extended. This puts extra strain on that area and as the weight gets heavier you will feel it. Straighten them out from now on to ingrain the correct wrist position in your head. This may create a slightly more 'elbows up' position and that's okay. I like this video for bar position cues.

Secondly, you seem to initiate the descent with your hips just a tiny bit on some reps. Remember to initiate the movement with a simultaneous break at the hips and knees.

Shove your knees out hard. I can't say for sure if you're keeping them out - only a rear or 45* angle will verify.

Rack the bar more symmetrically, rather than relying on you left leg only.

Finally, resist the urge to lift your chest half way up the ascent. I am guilty of this too, but you've got to continue driving the hips.

Although the above seems very critical, I didn't mention what you're doing well: Like a descent stance, good breathing and good back position.

Thank you for the feedback, it doesn't seem critical at all! After all, I am looking to improve

I do unrack the bar both feet under - the foot back is while I make sure it's in the right position on my back as I can get a bit more pressure on it that way.

I hear your point about the wrists/elbows, wasn't aware of that, so will be paying attention tomorrow.

tobo noted about the hips breaking before the knees, this isn't something I'm very conscious of so need to make an effort.

The 'chest up' halfway up is because I'm trying not to half-good-morning it. Not sure how to avoid other than improving my strength/posterior chain?

Knees going out has been the journey of the last few weeks - they are going out as hard as I can make them, and it's very much top of mind. So I'm going to call that one ok for now but needing an eye kept on it! Again, tobo's advice to try to push my knees outside my feet, while not possible, has really helped me visualise what is going on.

Interesting spot on the asymmetrical rack.. and you probably won't be surprised to discover I'm a lefty! Will have to work on this too.

I'm sure there will be more videos to come! Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by lwoodroff View Post

The 'chest up' halfway up is because I'm trying not to half-good-morning it. Not sure how to avoid other than improving my strength/posterior chain?
    This will happen naturally as you do the barbell lifts with correct technique. Sometimes, especially for novices, cueing hip drive does cause a slight change in back angle. I haven't seen what you called an accidental good morning, so I couldn't say if your prior squats were a bad offender, or if your eye is just being picky in terms of back angle. With persistence, you can learn how to do both (maintain hip drive without caving your upper back / chest toward the floor). Your torso will move as a fixed unit. Coach Wolf's squats demonstrate this nicely if you search for them.

Ah, so you're a lefty. That is fascinating to note. Will take a look at your future vids. Keep up the good work. Sounds like tobo's cues for you are spot-on in terms of knees. It can be odd to 'feel' it at first, but soon you'll get the grasp of knees out hard.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm just passing on to lwoodroff all the cues I've struggled with myself :-)

Agree on the Wolf squats, they have machine precision.