starting strength gym
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cube Boss log of a former 5/3/1 junky

Default The Cube Boss log of a former 5/3/1 junky

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A little background about myself(for anyone who cares). I am a 41 year old male(5'6" and currently 210 pounds) who never lifted a day in his life until a little over 3 years ago when I started getting serious about my health. I had been quit smoking 4 years(now 7.5 years quit) and after having gained over 50 pounds I decided it was time to stop being a fat slob. I started dieting and I followed The New Rules Of Lifting program for about a year where I lost over 30 pounds while building a little muscle in the process. Then I found 5/3/1 and Starting Strength and really liked both programs. I was torn between both but ultimately decided to go with 5/3/1 because I still needed to shed some fat.

I followed 5/3/1 for 11 cycles while dieting on and off and made good gains and lost some more fat. Right after my 11th cycle tragedy struck during some heavy single deadlifts. My left (supinated) biceps tore loose from my forearm and rolled up to my shoulder. I'd had off and on elbow pain for years and the surgeon said the end of the tendon was severely degenerated probably from an injury that could have happened as far back as 10 years ago and progressively got worse. 2 weeks post surgery my cast came off and I went into a brace. 6 weeks post op the brace came off and I started doing some light dumbbell work and increased the weight slowly. at 11 weeks the surgeon released me fully. I took the 12th week to asses my limits and determine my 5/3/1 training maxes. Week 13 post op(1/1/2013) I restarted 5/3/1. I followed 5/3/1 all year(13 cycles) and at the start of my 14th post-op cycle I did something that Rip warns about in the SS DVD. I went lower than I usually do at the expense of relaxing the lumbar and that resulted in a pretty bad back pull/sprain.

While having to do nothing for a few days I bought the kindle version of Brandon Lilly's Cube Method. I was intrigued but didn't like the fact that the main lifts weren't the focus. I mentioned it in one of my FB groups and Lilly's 365 Strong book was mentioned. I got and read that and I really,really like the layout of the Cube Boss program and decided to start doing it after running 5/3/1 for 24 full cycles. I had planned to just wing it the rest of the year and then start the Cube Boss but I found out I am the type of person that needs to know what I will be doing when I go in the garage. I would go out there and just piddle around and not get anything done. So I came up with a plan this morning to start the cube and not re-trash my back(hopefully). I went to my 5/3/1 log and went back 6 months and made those training maxes my 1rm for the cube. That makes my cube training maxes Squat-260, Bench-175, Deads- 280. Then after the first 10 week wave I will do true 1rm lifts for the next cycle. The only thing about cube is that the press is an accessory on the body building day. Since I have no desire at this time to join a meet, which may change after I visit Brute Strength Gym to watch their next meet in March( I hope to meet Jordan since he trains there when in town), I may just do the press 5/3/1 style next cycle.

I did my first heavy dead work today and it felt really solid. I only did the comp lift and the 2 variations. I will probably do that for the first week or 2 to make sure the back is good to go. I will log after dinner.

For anyone interested, here is my previous log.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=36615
    Last edited by tcul1972; 12-01-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Cube Boss Cycle 1

Training maxes: Squat@260, Bench Press@175, Deadlift@285

Wave 1: week 1, Workout 1(Heavy Deadlift)

Competition Deadlift (weight/reps/sets)

Warmup sets- 135x5x2, 155x5, 175x5, 195x3

Work sets- 230x2x5

4" block pulls (weight/reps/sets)

240x3x2

2" deficit deadlifts (weight/reps/sets)

215x5x2

Notes: Deads felt solid. I have been pulling in my Adipowers for over a year but just started using compression knee socks and deadlift slippers. I found it much easier to get set up and the pulls felt much stronger/faster. I have also never done block pulls or deficits. The block pulls weren't bad at all. The deficits were a little strange getting set up. No accessory work the first week or 2. I don't want to do too much with the back at first. If my back feels okay tomorrow for the Rep bench day I may start adding in a few ab wheel roll outs each workout.
    Last edited by tcul1972; 12-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.

welcome, cube boss looks interesting, we'll see how it works for you .

Cube Boss Cycle 1

Wave 1: week 1, Workout 2(Rep Bench)

Competition Bench Press (weight/reps/sets)

Warmup sets- 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x10, 105x10

Work sets- 125x10x3

Close Grip Bench (weight/reps/sets)

135x8x2

Bench with pause 1" above chest (weight/reps/sets)

115x10x3

Notes: Well that was pretty damn brutal. My arms were fried after the last set of pause benches(have never done them) and I was an the verge of dropping the last rep before I actually racked it. Tomorrows explosive squat day may be just as brutal. I was kicking around the idea of using my fractional plates and rounding to the nearest half pound like I was doing for my 5/3/1 but I think I will save them for when I truly think I need them.

I will be following your progress, tcul!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    I will be following your progress, tcul!

Thanks, OM. Your log and your feedback on mine are very motivational. I have been browsing logs when I have free time seeing if anybody is running the new cube program from Lilly's 365 strong book. no luck yet, but there are so many logs here I have trouble keeping up with ones I've browsed before.

I'll be following too. I'll start the Cube Kingpin (Boss) after my meet Dec 14th. Definitely going to enjoy it. I did one cycle of Cube Method and I had some really good gains.

I've been considering the same program, so I'll be following along.

good to see some people planning on running it.

starting strength coach development program
    Cube Boss Cycle 1

Wave 1: week 1, Workout 3(Explosive Squat)

Competition Squat (weight/reps/sets)

Warmup sets- 45x5x3, 65x3, 95x3x2, 115x3, 135x3x2, 155 x 3

Work sets- 170x3x8

High Bar Squat (weight/reps/sets)

190x8x3

Pause Squats (weight/reps/sets)

160x8x3

Notes: I did plenty of warmup reps at first to make sure my back was good. I haven't done high bar squats in a long, long time and my quads are on fire right now. The pause squats are a brutal one too. I have never done them before. I did them per Starting Strength 3rd edition. I set my cage safeties to where they were just at or maybe a hair above the depth I usually squat and came down to the safeties, counted to 3 and came back up. By the 8th rep of every set my knees were like jello.

Aside from some mild low back soreness(not even on the injured side) my back feels great. My ankle even feels much better than it has in a long time. For those that didn't follow my previous log, in July I tipped over an 8' ladder at work while on the rung that says"this is not a step" and came down with all of my weight onto my left foot. My tactical work boots and a shit ton of squats pretty much saved a shattered ankle.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast