starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Injury comparison by program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong.
    are 2 of my favourite new quotes

I'm 46, and I've been a half-assed gym rat for a lot of my adulthood. I started SS last winter, which was my first real programming. Since March I've been doing regular deload weeks, and I did one major reset in the fall. I feel sore and beat up sometimes (OK, most of the time), but the only thing close to an injury* has been some flickers of tendonitis in the knees lately, which I think I've got under control through technique adjustment. I'm still in the process of pulling my head out of my ass with these lifts, but they haven't killed me. And I'm much stronger now than I've ever been.
    I did tear a soleus (I think) when I was 37 pretty much just standing there during a game of pickup volleyball. That was a proud moment.
    * From lifting. I do sometimes get hurt, but that's always doing jujitsu.

I don't get the slow lifts thing. I fooled around a bit with it before finding SS. Do they really take 10 seconds to pull up a 500 lb Deadlift, then 10 more to set it down? Do they even get strong enough to pull it at all? How could it be safer than pulling normally?

I would be impressed if someone could do it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Can an admin please invent, and then give to Tobo, an award for most (unintentionally?) hilarious posts of 2013?
    Why thank you, stuffedsuperdud. Your own post reminds me of when I lived in the Midwest and people would look at me, cock their heads sideways like a puzzled Golden Retriever, and inquire, "Are you being ironical?"

Super, I absolutely agree, Tobo wins the award for funniest post. He should get some kind of award. Coach Rip needs to "dub" him or something

ColoWayno, yes, super slow is 10 up 10 down, but only on their equipment with proper strength curves. For free weights you avoid the easy parts of the ROM but same speed. So e.g. for a deadlift one would only do the bottom third at a cadence of about 4/4. There are some folks that get strong on the machines, but little hypertrophy. SAID in action.

Quote Originally Posted by k_dean_curtis View Post
    Super, I absolutely agree, Tobo wins the award for funniest post. He should get some kind of award. Coach Rip needs to "dub" him or something
    I think Tobo is a girl, albeit one with some comically masculine idiosyncrasies.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    only two have been seriously injured because of weight training--both were on a Smith machine squatting less than 200 lbs.
    How'd they manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by k_dean_curtis View Post
    And breaks are critical. As is perfect form. That is probably the one thing that most drew me to SS, the emphasis on proper form.
    Proper form is important, perfect form is not. Don't get me wrong, you should always aim for perfect form. But if, like some people I've met, you think you should only move the weight up when you've got perfect form, you'll be doing very light weights for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SivariKing View Post
    Right now I can't squat at all due to messed up knees
    I don't know your situation, but there's about a 90% chance you need to shove your knees out more at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    How'd they manage that?

Proper form is important, perfect form is not. Don't get me wrong, you should always aim for perfect form. But if, like some people I've met, you think you should only move the weight up when you've got perfect form, you'll be doing very light weights for a very long time.

I don't know your situation, but there's about a 90% chance you need to shove your knees out more at the bottom.
    Nah, I already tried that. I haven't had an MRI yet, but I'm almost 100% sure I've torn a meniscus in my left knee. Every time I do more than a couple of reps of bw squats, my knee makes a cracking sound at the bottom, followed by a momentaty pain. I've also torn the meniscus in my right knee, and the symptoms were pretty similar. I had surgery in my right knee, which kind of fixed the problem, meaning the pain went away, but my knee was never "100%" afterwards.

For example, before I messed up my left knee also, I could do consecutive 9 pistol squats with that side. Not mind blowing, but compared to my right knee, I could do zero after the surgery. Thankfully, barbell squats didn't suffer the same way. But still, I'm wondering if/when I have the surgery on my left knee, what will remain of my leg strength. Well, it can't get any worse, since right now I'm squatting the empty bar for like one rep.

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    I tore a meniscus putting on pants (!) at age 21. I've thrown out my lower back sneezing. I've also torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong.
    Awesome tobo. I might have one better, though. I've pulled a hammy (actually, more than once) in the act of, um, knocking boots. Apparently, I need to limber up. I wonder what the prescribed warm-up sets for that are?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by curlrackhog View Post
    Awesome tobo. I might have one better, though. I've pulled a hammy (actually, more than once) in the act of, um, knocking boots. Apparently, I need to limber up. I wonder what the prescribed warm-up sets for that are?
    Foreplay?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast