95 x 5
    135 x 3
    165 x 2
    185 x 3 x 5

BP
    45 x 5
    65 x 3
    85 x 2
    90 x 3 (failed rep 4), 3, 3, 3, 2 (failed rep 3)

Rep PRs on both lifts today.

LTE--
    DB
    8lbs x 10
    10lbs x 10
    EZ curl bar
    25 x 10
    30 x 10 x 2

So I ended up missing a week of workouts. I spent last week preparing a presentation for a linguistics conference in Canada that I'm attending next week. And then over the weekend I got a weird summer cold. I was also freaked about reps at 185.

So triples on the squat was planned. I figured it was better not to fail and to get over my fear of 185. So I did 5 sets of 3. Difficult, but got them all.

I had planned to do 3 sets of 5 on the BP as prescribed. But after failing rep 4 on the first set, I switched to triples for that as well.

My next workout A I will do 5s across.

And in good news, my conf lodgings are across the way from a uni gym, so I'm going to pack my WL shoes and try and get a couple workouts in on the road. Good times. Only wish my husband were going with me. Traveling to pretty places alone is always a bit of a bummer.

For future reference, if you miss a week, just repeat the weights you did last time, rather than adding. If you miss two weeks, take a step back to the week prior. A cold of a few days is treated like a full missed week.

Otherwise, yes it's time to go to triples and stick with them. Bench press, not sure if you know this cue, but think of "spreading the bar." Squeeze it tight and try to pull it across. This will help set your shoulders back.

Yes, not as fun going somewhere nice without the sidekick, I found that in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post

Otherwise, yes it's time to go to triples and stick with them. Bench press, not sure if you know this cue, but think of "spreading the bar." Squeeze it tight and try to pull it across. This will help set your shoulders back.
    I've been cueing myself with "crush the bar" which doesn't have the spreading aspect in it. I'll try it.

I forgot to mention that there was a girl on the smith machine next to me. She loaded a 45 and 25lb plate on each side. Squatted a bit. I was doing my thing. The next time I paid attention, only the 45s were there and she was on leg press with 3 plates on each side. On the way to the bathroom, I passed her on the thigh machine and asked her if she was done with the smith machine. She said yes. I said, "You haven't unracked the weights" And she said, "Oh, sorry". I left it at that and went on to the bathroom. When I returned, the weights were off the bar.

It was really weird to me that she acted like she didn't know or she forgot. She removed the 25s. It seemed like she did the 25s and then the 45s were inconvenient. Natch. Not re-racking weights is a pet peeve of mine. I should probably cut her some slack.

It's just laziness. I have a gym member I help out, she leaves 5kg on either side of the bar and walks away. 20kg is an effort to pull off and rack up, but 5kg? She used to leave it there when it was 2.5kg, too. Lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    It's just laziness. I have a gym member I help out, she leaves 5kg on either side of the bar and walks away. 20kg is an effort to pull off and rack up, but 5kg? She used to leave it there when it was 2.5kg, too. Lazy.
    Well some lazy ass left 45s on the squat rack, the smith machine, and the t-rows thing.

Today I repeated the last workout B

Warm ups to
    75 x 3 x 5 on the press

Warm ups to
    225 x 3 x 3 on the DL

Great day in the gym other than the inconsiderate person who left plates everywhere.

Default Quadruples!

Today
    Squats
    45 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 2
    175 x 1
    185 x 4 x 4
    --only peed myself a little

BP
    45 x 5
    65 x 3
    85 x 1
    95 x 4 x 4
    --couldn't figure out Kyle's cue, but did manage to get some driving tension through my heels to keep my lower body/low back/abs tight, last 3 sets better than the 1st.

Today

Squat
    45*5
    95*5
    135*3
    155*2
    175*1
    195*3 f 3rd rep
    165*5
    165*3*2

Bench
    45*5
    65*5
    75*5
    85*5
    65*5*2

--OMG, I did not realize how hard I had been running with all this conference prep, travel, and sleeping in different places in different beds.

--So while I have access to a lovely gym at the moment, I think tomorrow I'll do a modest workout B.

Today
    Press
    45 x 5
    65 x 5
    75 x 3
    80 x 2, 1
    70 x 3 x 3

DL
    60kg x 5
    80 x 3
    90 x 1
    100 x 3 x 3

LTE
    EZ curl bar (probably 20-25lbs) x 10 x 3

--conf presentation went better than I felt it did based on feedback I got.
    --Weights by the platform were all in kg, so DLs in KGs-- they felt heavier -- ^.^
    --I have grumpy elbows and shoulders today, not sure what that is. They just ache. Might be the way I've been sleeping, since I usually sleep propped up by a couple pillows, but didn't think about it for this trip.
    --I'm in a cheap dorm set up, BUT they put me on the 14th floor of this tower overlooking the water and island, Victoria Is. maybe? I'm in Vancouver.
    --Ready to see the fam again today. But the conference has been good. And having a nice gym across the street with at least 2 others wearing proper lifting shoes at 630 in the morning was a nice bonus!

Default PRs!!

Squat
    45 x 5
    95 x 3
    135 x 2
    155 x 1
    185 x 1
    205 x 1
    215 x 1 PR
    225 x 1 PR
    --225 was my squat goal when I first started SS LP, and I was determined to make it because I knew I could. I did, however, dribble pee down my leg. It was worth it.

Bench
    45 x 5
    65 x 3
    85 x 1
    95 x 1
    105 f
    --not sure if I just lost focus or what. I thought 105 would go up. But it died 3 inches above my chest so it wasn't even a tricep thing. Best I can figure is that I detrained in the intervening 10 days since I last benched. My upper body lifts have responded to more frequent vs less frequent training.

DL
    135 x 3
    185 x 1
    235 x 1
    245 x 1 PR
    250 x 1 PR
    --I thought these went up quite well and was happy to grab the easy PRs. 250 was my SS LP DL goal. So it was nice to hit this one.

I did not test the press since I was scolded for trying to max too many lifts previously.

I was going to run the program another week, but after an honest examination of the rest of the month realized we were heading into quite a bit of schedule craziness.

Generally speaking, this cycle was successful in that I set new PRs but I didn't run it the way I wanted to. I thought I would be able to get into the gym much more consistently than I did. In fact, I think I had two stretches of not lifting for a full week. It took a lot more out of me to do sets across than the Easy Strength programming from earlier in the year. This also required more eating, and I got a bit fluffier. I'm sure that if I had run the program as written, I would have set even greater PRs. But I can't complain about the results I do have.

I think the biggest lesson this cycle is to better gauge how life is rolling and err on the side of restraint. I was hoping I was in a green light, all systems go kind of a summer, but we actually had a lot of small odd things come up making it more of an orange light, proceed with caution time.

Looking ahead, I really like the split workouts of this cycle (Squats/BP then Press/DLs). I'm thinking about running those two workouts at 60-80% 1RM for a ten rep total. Basically, mashing together the workouts from this cycle with the percents and reps of the previous cycles.

starting strength coach development program
    Well done, PRs all around.

For other readers, we are just discussing it now, but will probably do another "easy strength" cycle as bluebutton has suggested, sq/bp one day and dl/ohp the next.

Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast