+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: In the midst of setting PR's

  1. #1

    Default In the midst of setting PR's

    A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’ The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed.. ‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff. ‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn. Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand. One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Coconut Island
    Posts
    5,795

    Default


    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Queen Anne, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    11,870

    Default

    I do the same demo, except I piss in the jar at the end, and then smash it while shouting LIFE IS MEANINGLESS, MAKE THE BEST OF IT

  4. #4

    Default

    hahahahahahaha

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I do the same demo, except I piss in the jar at the end, and then smash it while shouting LIFE IS MEANINGLESS, MAKE THE BEST OF IT
    And this is why they don't let you teach.

  6. #6

    Default

    The question is whether it's too late in the year to drop the course.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wherever the music takes me, kitten
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifter285 View Post
    A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’ The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed.. ‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff. ‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn. Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand. One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.
    "Are we going to have to know this for the test?" . . . . ..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    4,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I do the same demo, except I piss in the jar at the end, and then smash it while shouting LIFE IS MEANINGLESS, MAKE THE BEST OF IT
    A much more likely scenario in a real philosophy class.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    A much more likely scenario in a real philosophy class.
    What represents the french fries that the philosophy majors serve after they graduate?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    A much more likely scenario in a real philosophy class.
    If you know an unflattering but funny story about insane philosophy professors, please do tell.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts