starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass out on deadlift

Default Pass out on deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have passed out three times this week, amd all three were while I was doing DL's. All three times I passed out on my second warmup set (225. My 3RM is 265). The first two times I was doing the valsalva maneuver, but the third I released some of my breath at the top of the lift.

I have never passed out before. While my vision does go black sometimes on deadlifts or if I stand up too quickly, waiting a few seconds makes it go away.

What could be the cause of this? My form is decent, and I squatted 200lb 3x5 the same day.

video? are you eating, is this the 1st lift of the day? hydrated? inhaling before valsalva?

Search function.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyArnold View Post
    Search function.
    I have been searching google for three days now m8. The most I can find is people who *almost* pass out or who pass out once and never again. But even taking their advice (Trickling air out, taking a smaller breath) and none of that works. The only thing that helps is breathing for several seconds at the top (During this time my vision is fully black and my ears start to ring). Obviously, this is not helpful, since I pretty much black out anyways AND I compromise my spinal stability.

I passed out once power cleaning, and have had to "take a knee" after many sets of deadlifts.

Post a video, maybe you are doing something unusual and a coach will tell you to stop doing that. Hanging out at the top of the deadlift, and releasing your breath at the top especially sound like bad ideas to me. That's what I was doing when I had my power-clean incident.

Btw, are you a skinny guy with low blood pressure like I used to be? As I've gained weight, I've had less trouble with this.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I passed out once power cleaning, and have had to "take a knee" after many sets of deadlifts.

Post a video, maybe you are doing something unusual and a coach will tell you to stop doing that. Hanging out at the top of the deadlift, and releasing your breath at the top especially sound like bad ideas to me. That's what I was doing when I had my power-clean incident.
    I know that breathing at the top is a terrible idea, but its either breath or pass out.

I actually have a video of the first time I passed out, as well as some videos I took for form. I will try to get those uploaded later.

Not really a skinny guy (5'11/175lb 17ish percent BF). My blood pressure usually fairly low (100/70 or so at 70BPM). I thought that it might be a side effect of my cut -500 cut (2k cal) but I have been eating 2.2k cal for the past week and I still dropped today.
    Last edited by Ankle; 03-24-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add BP

Alright. so I have some video. Check em:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDOxNlO0gLo - 1plate DL with decent form. I know my breathing is messed up, but that is because I was messing around with breathing patterns after passing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65T5...fY7rm0rKQwRBzg - I know my form is shit here, it is usually much better but I was gone from pretty much the second the weight moved.

starting strength coach development program
    Bump your weight up to 200lbs.
    Get 4 grams of leucine a meal and wait 4 hours to eat again. No soft drink.
    Slowly add carbs and fat until you are slowly adding weight and your lifts climbing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast