starting strength gym
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Three Years Later: SS Part Deux

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Power Clean practice, warmed up to 125, then did some clean high pulls 135x2x3. Was still feeling it from yesterday session, which was late in the day.

Light Back Squat (80%) 260x5x3
    Didn't have time for this yesterday, which was the reason I went into the garage today.

Press 143x4
    This was a longshot, but figured since I was already out there and warmed up, I'd try to hit my top set, and do some volume if I got my five. I didn't.

Seems I can still PR presses if I have 48 hours rest, but doing it on less than 24 isn't going to cut it. I think going forward I'll do a press every other day, and let the squats fall wherever they need to--essentially program upper and lower body on separate schedules for the rest of the LP.

How's your bodyweight these days?

Quote Originally Posted by HandPlaneSteve View Post
    How's your bodyweight these days?

Squat 330x5 @10 (pr), 307x5x2
    That topset was hard. Squat got much harder around 310, and went to a new level of hard at 325. It takes me a good 12-15 minutes before I start the back off sets. Last rep felt very slow, but doesn't look that slow after video review.

Press 143x5 @10 (pr), 20m block = 10 reps, 134x4
    The last rep on the topset was a griiiiiinder, and it affected me during the block. Wanted a bit more volume so I waited a couple minutes and stripped off some weight for a few more reps.

Chins 7m block = 25

Got all my reps, two PR's, and chins didn't detrain nearly as much as I thought--maybe at all. I hadn't don't them for awhile because of some lat/rib niggles and I'd gained a few pounds, so I was afraid they'd be a bear. Good sesh. I'll take it.

At this point the @10's will be pretty redundant for the rest of the LP, but I like to note it on my spreadsheet for future reference.

From yesterday.:

Light Front Squat 215x3x5

Bench 226x4.25 fuck. Rested and went for five again. 226x4.6. Wasn't happening. Did doubles every three minutes until I had 16 reps I all.

Not much margin of error with food and sleep these days. Didn't eat enough yesterday as I got wrapped up in work. Thought I might get away with it because of the light squat day.

I have a weird rib thing a few inches under my right arm. Did it deadlifting, but the only thing that seems to really bother it lately is the rack position for front squats. Thought it was healed but the front squats messed it up again. Abandoned deadlift because of it and feeling run down.

Cut a couple cords of wood today and am torched. Need a lot of sleep.

Squat 335x2x2. Done.

Started to warm up for bench and didn’t feel right, called it a day.

I’m pretty torched. Missed a couple hours sleep and my left shoulder and elbow are bothering me.

I think I’m probably going to switch to weekly programming. If things off the platform were perfect I might have a tiiiiiiiiny bit left in my novice LP but I have to do so much firewood cutting and property work right now that going for PR’s every session is running me down. PR'ing weekly is tenable. This weekend I bucked about three cords of firewood from tree length logs I have up on a landing and stacked another cord. I still don’t feel entirely fresh. That’s how my weekends are going to be for a little while.

Probably looking at something like going back to the high volume pressing cycles that Hanley had me on previously and HLM for the squat and deadlift. Think I’ll put an intensity/heavy day on Thursday so I’ll have plenty of rest from weekend work, with medium and light days on Saturday and Monday, respectively. Gonna work on programming tonight.

Will probably start another log in the intermediate section to get a new log name if nothing else.

So after think ing about this I'm definitely switching to weekly programming I'll start a new log. Here's a brief summary of the LP progress. Starting weights were not true 5rm's, but just were bar speed started to slow down on 5's. I had been lifting a tiny bit for a month before I started SS, so the beginning weights were even lower before I touched a barbell.

Squat 146 3x5 ---> 330x5
    Press 65 3x5 ---> 143x5
    Deadlift 155x5 ---> 382x5
    Bench 111.5 3x5 ---> 223.5x5
    Power Clean: I'm still not talking about the power clean.

Bodyweight pre-barbell (Feb. 2014) 183--->219
    Last edited by Anthony King; 05-06-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930