starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DL Check: 300x5

Default DL Check: 300x5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For some reason I am having trouble getting my back flat in the setup. I thought I had fixed this during warmups, but looking at the film I think I must be doing something wrong in set-up.

https://vimeo.com/102353021

(I am lifting in running shoes. 1/2" Do-Wins are in the mail as I type.)

Talk to me about where the bar is in relation to your shins and where it should be on every rep.

The bar should stay in contact with my leg throughout.

I set up with my shins on the bar (although my toes need to be pointed out more) but shortly before I pull the bar off the ground I pull my shins back. This got more pronounced as the set progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I set up with my shins on the bar
    This is the start of your difficulties. Read the sticky at the top that refers to pulls from the floor and do the procedure laid out there exactly. Word for word. It will help your pulls. Post a video of you doing a set using those instructions.

Went to the gym this morning. The platforms are being renovated and there was no place to deadlift. They will reopen Saturday and I will post another video then. Thanks for the help.

https://vimeo.com/103012587

(After step 3 I realized I forgot use the alternate grip so I switched. I use double overhand for my warmups.)

You do not need to reverse your grip if the bar is not peeling out of your hands. If you can hold on to it with a double overhand, do so.

The bar starts too far away from your shins on every rep. This puts it in front of your midfoot and drops your hips a little too low. It also allows you to avoid setting your back. Remember, follow the sticky. I promise it works as advertised. We want to get your erectors pulling your spine into extension. Your deadlifts are not horrible, but they can be better.

Do you own Starting Strength and have you read it?

I have the third edition of SSBBT3 and PPST3 and have read them both. (Except for the advanced part of PPST3 since I'm still doing the novice program.)

I was using double-overhand grip until 255 lbs at which point I felt like I could barely hang on for the entire set, then I switched to doing alternate grip for my work sets and double overhand for warmups. I have pulled 275 for a single with double overhand in warmups. I will see if I can complete my work sets using double overhand. I hadn't started using chalk yet when I switched so that was probably part of the problem as well.

I was trying to follow the sticky, I guess I misjudged where midfoot was. I will try using 1" away from the shins as a guideline like mentioned in the sticky. Or I guess I could try measuring the do-wins and making a mental mark of where the exact middle is.

Measuring the 1" from the shins can be a little tricky. Right now, you are too far away. Chalk is good. Double overhand as much as you can. If that fails, reverse or use the hook grip. I use the hook, myself.

starting strength coach development program
    https://vimeo.com/103385605

I think my form regressed a bit today. I lost my grip on the 5th rep and did one with the reverse grip after he stopped filming. Should I go back to using double overhand on warmups and reverse on my working set?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast