starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Probable Disc Herniation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisHenson777 View Post
    it's just funny because as soon as you asked to see the press video, I assumed my layback that I often use when pressing, and the pain came back instantly. With the information you have, and obviously without any liability, would you guys assume that it is safe for me to deadlift?
    I'd have zero fear of deadlifting if I were you. I'd be very mindful of not hyperextending on top.

I'd also recommend "core" work: l-sit chins width abs very braced are my favorite.

Uh oh.... John said the C-word...

Haha thanks, John. I deadlifted tonight and feel great so far. I have been very, very hesitant to round my low back and have undoubtably been practicing some serious hyperextension for the past year. I can only imagine where my deadlift would be now if I wouldn't have blamed it from the start... Oh well. I'm on the right path now I believe.

Much thanks as always to everyone for the advice- I'd truly be lost in a sea of bullshit advice without this forum. So grateful

To anyone else who may be reading: I believe my problem will be solved by focusing more on keeping my abs braced instead of keeping my spinal erectors contracted. I know Rip really emphasizes the Superman drill to establish what low back position should feel like, but for me, too much of this produced over extension and caused probably a loss of eight months worth of good dead lifting.

To anyone else who may be reading: I believe my problem will be solved by focusing more on keeping my abs braced instead of keeping my spinal erectors contracted. I know Rip really emphasizes the Superman drill to establish what low back position should feel like, but for me, too much of this produced over extension and caused probably a loss of eight months worth of good dead lifting.
    EVERYONE should spend an hour with a competent coach at least once every 6 months.

Your overextension would have been unfucked in 30 seconds vice 8 months.

I would love to do that, but how do you find a competent coach in the middle of nowhere? I mean, I don't actually live in the middle of nowhere. I actually live pretty close to Donnie Thompson's compound and have a few acquaintances that train with him, but even they don't seem to know much. Anyway, here is the press video if you will take a look.

http://youtu.be/_qgFrPBrU7k

Vid is "private". Can't access it.

First part true but, regarding the second, sometimes postural abnormalities, such as Lower-Cross and the resultant hyperlordotic lumbar spine, can benefit from and improve quicker and more persistently with "corrective exercises." For example, a competent coach such as yourself would no doubt have the hyperextended lumbar spine unfucked in 30 seconds, however, this chronic condition would persist outside of the gym and likely result in form creep inside the gym. In other words, what you do in an hour inside the gym can't compete with the 23 hours outside the gym when you're dealing with chronic conditions that develop over years.
    Yeah. Dat b true. Send them lordotic mofo's to the manual therapist, says I.

I've got facet joint arthritis, among other things, and Andy had me switch back to Press 1.0 so I'd cue to lay back less. It solved a lot for me. Just my two cents.

Sorry John, try it again- should be public now.

Thanks Vanslix, I've been trying to learn to use my abs in the press and put my hips out in front of me instead of arching at the waist and turning it into a standing close grip bench.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry John, try it again- should be public now.

Thanks Vanslix, I've been trying to learn to use my abs in the press and put my hips out in front of me instead of arching at the waist and turning it into a standing close grip bench.
    If you can't get one on one, you may try a skype session with one of the trainers. I think Andy and Jordan both do online coaching. And I can attest to the validity of John's recommendation to see a coach every six months. First time I saw one, cleared up months of fuckery on all four lifts in just 1 session. Now I just go back every three months or so to get more subtle corrections. Definitely worth it, especially if you're dancing around a potential injury. I can't recommend it enough. These guys know their shit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast