starting strength gym

Thread: Re-informing a Misinformed Female Lifter about Strength Training

Default Re-informing a Misinformed Female Lifter about Strength Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Robert Santana

“One segment of the population that receives more than their fair share of misinformation is actually half the population: females. This is especially true here in Los Angeles, where plastic surgeons and “weight loss gurus” are the modern day Joe Camels on our billboards.”

Article
    Last edited by stef; 08-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Question Sets & Reps Men Vs Women

I have noticed as I get older that my older male body reacts in many ways like a younger female athlete. Do you have any experience altering the sets and reps as you discussed (quote below) for a 50+ male trainee. Do you think this idea has any merit?

Thanks for the great article, can't wait to show it to my wife.

Best
    Jim C.

Quote:: My training approach to the first three reflects much of what is discussed in Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd ed. The sets and reps start out the same as they do for males with 3 sets of 5 reps and eventually move onto to 5 sets of 3 reps when signs of slowdown start to appear. Due to differences in neuromuscular efficiency, the deadlift is also done for sets across with 3 sets of 5 in the beginning and eventually moving on to 4-5 sets of 3. This maintains linear progress for a longer duration and seems to mimic the effect that 3 sets of 5 has on males. UNQuote