starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: October Iron Fest - A Starting Strength Event

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is a reminder for those competing to read the rules for upcoming meet. They can be found at:

http://startingstrength.com/files/20...fest_rules.pdf

I made two minor modifications to the rules. They include the following:

Smelling salts or ammonia are allowed to be used, provided it is not done on the platform or in view of the audience.
    The minimum increase for all lifts is now 2.5 pounds. Before, only the press allowed 2.5 lb jumps and the squat and dead required 5 lb increases.

There are still some spaces left at some of the meets should you wish to sign up.

Question about the press rules for you Tom: are we allowed to let the bar dip down slightly with our arms to "simulate" a bounce before we start pressing upwards, so long as our legs don't unlock? I tend to do this on my first rep rather than Press 2.0, and am wondering if I should just 2.0 it (only reason I don't 2.0 is due to back issues, which wont be as much of an issue for a few reps in competition).

Tom - on the off chance that you see this before tomorrow - have you heard now that we are a day out whether any of the facilities will be providing a live stream of their meet online?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Tom - on the off chance that you see this before tomorrow - have you heard now that we are a day out whether any of the facilities will be providing a live stream of their meet online?
    No live streams that I know of. I would doubt anyone would really watch them anyway. I may be able to shoot a little video during my meet, but it will probably take a little time to get it online.

Quote Originally Posted by wdewind View Post
    Question about the press rules for you Tom: are we allowed to let the bar dip down slightly with our arms to "simulate" a bounce before we start pressing upwards, so long as our legs don't unlock? I tend to do this on my first rep rather than Press 2.0, and am wondering if I should just 2.0 it (only reason I don't 2.0 is due to back issues, which wont be as much of an issue for a few reps in competition).
    Yes, the bar can dip. In fact, that little dip is part of the teaching method for the Olympic press.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    No live streams that I know of. I would doubt anyone would really watch them anyway. I may be able to shoot a little video during my meet, but it will probably take a little time to get it online.
    I definitely would have...it would have been a limited audience for sure, though! Safe and strong today - to you and all competing.

Well I had a great time at the Iron Fest held at Element Crossfit in Mississauga, I was surprised and pleased at how many showed up and everyone was friendly and cheered each other on, good crowd. I had gone in that morning afraid that maybe I would be one of only 2 or 3 to show up. So, thanks to all the people who made this happen and I hope you do it again next year.

Now, how about them results? ... and any videos ... and maybe some dancing girls - do you have official Stating Strength Dancers yet?

Just got everyone's results this morning. Putting it all together now.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow. Congrats all, and thanks for putting it together, Tom. I hope there will be more events like this in the future.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast