starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate/Fluffy - Older Trainee with program/nutrition question for body recomp

Default Intermediate/Fluffy - Older Trainee with program/nutrition question for body recomp

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordon,

I've read through your blog post 'To Be A Beast' and I identify with the intermediate/fluffy trainee. I am 40 years old and have had periods in my past of intense training. Just two years ago I pushed myself up to 350x5 squats, 410x5 DL and the other numbers are respective to their lifts. Right now - I am working up to those numbers and have recently completed 250x5 squats and 335x5 DL with ease. However, I weigh around 240# and have gained a couple inches of body fat over the last 6 months when not training/watching my diet closely and I would guess my body fat to be in the 25 - 27% range.

My question (and downfall) is about alcohol and cheat days ... I know that I have let my alcohol consumption grow to the point that it's getting in the weigh (pun intended) of my recomp goals. If I were to cut back daily consumption to two or three shots of bourbon in the evenings (replacing carbs in late night snack) and have one day per week where I do whatever I want would this completely demolish my goals of recomp?

I plan to follow your sample plan for the intermediate/fluffy trainee in respect to macro ratios and amounts in all other respects but wonder if replacing those carbs with bourbon or vodka and then spending half a day per week of beer consumption will kill my goals.

My workout plan is 3 lifting days per week. M and F - Squat and Bench, Wed will be PC, DL and Press. I'll add in the HIIT (i have a rower) and I'll walk in the mornings.

Am I spinning my wheels here or do I need to cut out cheat days and alcohol altogether (NOOOOOO!!!)

Thanks .....

Gannimal,

So I don't think that abstinence is the only way to go with respect to improving body composition and strength. That said, I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't concerned about the amount of alcohol you're drinking now, along with some likely binge eating here and there (pretty common, actually). On the other hand, when we're looking at making behavioral changes- it's important to realize there exists a spectrum of good-better-best in almost every scenario, and there is an intervention that is best suited to your current level of motivation somewhere along that spectrum. However, it may not always be the "best" intervention, rather it we may allow compromises that- while not optimal- still are better than what you're currently doing.

If you think you could comply, I would suggest limiting alcohol to 1-2 drinks per night, decrease carbohydrates in non peri workout meals by enough to facilitate slow weight loss, add in 1-2 days of HIIT per week, and give yourself one free for all EVENING (not day).

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    ...when we're looking at making behavioral changes- it's important to realize there exists a spectrum of good-better-best in almost every scenario, and there is an intervention that is best suited to your current level of motivation somewhere along that spectrum. However, it may not always be the "best" intervention, rather it we may allow compromises that- while not optimal- still are better than what you're currently doing.
    This approach is what I appreciate most about how you deal with issues, Jordan. You have helped me to view things as much less black/white - thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallEW View Post
    This approach is what I appreciate most about how you deal with issues, Jordan. You have helped me to view things as much less black/white - thanks for that.
    Thanks bud!