starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Reynolds column in USA Today

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dpg View Post
    Does the public really need to be protected from incompetent trainers the way it needs to be protected from incompetent doctors, plumbers, and bus drivers? I guess you could wind up with a training injury or something.
    Yeah, and the Government is just the organization we need to do the protecting, since they're so good at it already. Remember back when there used to be horrible doctors, lawyers, hairdressers, plumbers, and drivers? And then the Government stepped in, and they're all gone now. All gone!!. Happy Happy!!

You are either very young, or very very dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by kcc View Post
    You've shown a disdain for mainstream media that I've grown to share. What sources do you trust for national news? I've remained pretty detached but shit like this makes me want to pay more attention. Obviously, anything coming from a media outlet needs to be examined critically, but are there sources that you trust more than others?
    I read the aggregators on the web, like Drudge and Instapundit, and links from all their linked stories. The problem with the state-run media is not what they report, which is always biased, but what they omit.

Does the public really need to be protected from incompetent trainers the way it needs to be protected from incompetent doctors, plumbers, and bus drivers? I guess you could wind up with a training injury or something.
    Just like every other licensing regulation, it would be developed *by* incompetent trainers. Those who seek to regulate wish to insulate themselves from competiton. It's never about your safety or well-being. Ever.

Never ever. It's about the money. And children like dpg make it possible.

In my view a lot more harm would come to an unsuspecting public if anyone could call himself or herself a dentist, plastic surgeon, airline pilot, lawyer, auto mechanic, or building contractor without demonstrating his or her credentials. But a license requirement for hair braiding? Come on. Though I did hear one time that some of those hair weaves are surgically attached to the scalp.

Child, are you not aware of the fact that all states license hairdressers?

I don't think we need the state to protect us from a bad haircut, perm, coloring, etc. But when you start cutting into people, yeah. You recognize the shortcomings of government but fail to apply the same skepticism to business - people who have a financial incentive to rip us off, endanger our health, and send the economy into a tailspin. In the big, messy, complicated real world (not the make believe model of small producers and Leave it to Beaver that conservatives carry in their heads) adults realize that some government regulation is needed.

In my view a lot more harm would come to an unsuspecting public if anyone could call himself or herself a dentist, plastic surgeon, airline pilot, lawyer, auto mechanic, or building contractor without demonstrating his or her credentials.
    And credentials always, always mean the holder is competent, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Child, are you not aware of the fact that all states license hairdressers?
    My wife and I own a salon. She has often expressed her frustration that state law prevents her from hiring people to wash hair unless they are licensed hair stylists /cosmetologist. If she could hire dedicated hair washers all of the stylists could serve more customers per day and they could then tip out the washers. Many states allow this, but apparently my state is concerned that unless you are certified and licensed, you may screw up and unintentionally water board clients or something. I guess licensed and experienced hair stylists are not capable of training newly hired employees how to wash hair.

Aside from one problem, setting standards is a great idea to ensure at least a minimum of professional competence. I would love it if someone had to be knowledgeable in order to be a coach, and having the right standards would go a long way in that direction.

The only problem, and it's a tiny one at that, is that there's roughly a %100 chance the standards would be unhelpful. More than likely they would be actually harmful, given the popular opinions about training and, to use the reoccurring example, deep squats.

So rather than getting competent coaches who can show you how to build strength, you get coaches who are "competent" to show you how to squat to no lower than parallel (and higher is safer), or better yet, just do leg curls and leg extensions, since they do the same thing without the nasty risk of knee injuries that deep squats have.

I wouldn't even trust Rip to be 100% correct in making coaching standards, and he's at least willing to admit when he was mistaken about training. I'm definitely not going to trust government officials who don't even train to decide what can or cannot be coached.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    At first I thought all this sounded a bit far-fetched, but on second thought nothing would surprise me anymore, especially when it comes to Gov't overreach...

So I did a bit of googling and found this: "Herbert, David L, DC Opts to Regulate Personal Trainers, The Exercise, Sports and Sports Medicine Standards & Malpractice Reporter, March, 2014, Volume 3, No. 2."

I'd be interested to get Brodie's take on this stuff, if he happens upon the thread. For example, have there been rumblings of this type of regulation being proposed or making it's way through the bureaucracy? How could the rank-and-file help to avoid this type of crap from coming to fruition?
    This is an area I'm going to start looking into in the near future. I've heard rumblings of proposed regulations, but nothing that scares me...yet. Partly because I think that the gym industry as a whole likes things the way they are...you're not going to find many gyms clamoring for PT regulation.

Whether regulation will ultimately come to fruition depends, I think, on the regulation proposed. If it's a licensure regulation (like doctors or lawyers), then I think it will be controversial. If it's a title regulation (i.e., you can't use title X unless you're certified, but other than that you can do whatever you want), then I think it will be a lot less controversy. And it's hard to know this kind of stuff in advance, especially given how diverse states can be in their approaches to perceived problems.

The good news is, this stuff won't be regulated nationally--it's going to be your state government, which means that small but vocal groups have a lot more influence. If you see this kind of stuff brewing in your state, sound the alarm and start calling individual state reps. Especially if you know one personally.

Well, that's enough musings for today. But thanks for the article--I've pulled it and will review with interest. Perhaps this is a good topic for a follow-up article in the near future...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast