starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Glenn Reynolds column in USA Today

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mkamaryn View Post
    Not to derail here, but fuck, I always think of this when people think a little regulation might not be a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1IeBlnLrY
    Not as stupid as this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs23CjIWMgA

(Guam will capsize)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    An excellent reminder about who will do the regulating.
    Those who clamor most for government regulation will be the ones with the worst product to sell. They hope they will get their products or services written into the regulations. Those with the best products are just fine with a free market, because they know they will win in that environment. For example, SS will likely thrive in a free market environment, where their cert stands above the others. In the field of medicine, the NHS in the United Kingdom wrote homeopathy into the regs. If this hadn't happened, it would not be nearly as large an industry as it is now. Chinese Traditional Medicine was on it's way out before Chairman Mao made it the basis of his free health care (after all, it's cheap and people like it, who cares if it's effective?). Bad regulation drives out good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    In the field of medicine, the NHS in the United Kingdom wrote homeopathy into the regs. If this hadn't happened, it would not be nearly as large an industry as it is now. Chinese Traditional Medicine was on it's way out before Chairman Mao made it the basis of his free health care (after all, it's cheap and people like it, who cares if it's effective?).
    In our field, the FMS and "core stability" will be the first in line for the validation of Licensure.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Chinese Traditional Medicine is now on course to being the primary reason for the extinction of all the large exotic animals in the world before the end of this century, and some plants, too. Thanks Chairman Mao!

All I know is that planet fitness is excited about regulation.

starting strength coach development program
    Interesting topic. Myself, I find myself increasingly frustrated by the amount of gov't involvement in trying to protect people from themselves, at the cost of personal liberties. This frustration has significantly increased as I age. As has my pessimism about govt- if there is way to royally screw something up, govt will generally find it (and do so in the most expensive non-common sense means possible).

That rant aside aside, part of the problem is the quantity of morons walking around with no concept of personal accountability, and questionable honor. Part of that whole entitlement problem, from my perspective. If someone makes a mistake, they want to be able to sue, blame, cash-in, get bailed out, or somehow defer their stupid ass situation to someone else. Little sense of 'I'm an adult, I made my choices, am personally accountable and responsible for those choices, and need to live with the consequences'.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456