starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check, 420 x 5

Default Squat check, 420 x 5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, this is my first form check and, first post on the forum. I'm 16 weeks into Starting Strength and really pleased with the results. I weight "trained" back in my 20's but, I'm stronger now at age 46, than I have ever been. I didn't think that was even possible.

I think I am a little high on these. This was my third set; sets 1 and 2 were lower.

I've reached the point where I don't recover enough between workouts so, I need some programing advise too. I'm really excited about the gainzz and I want to keep
    progressing. The October Iron fest is calling my name!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg2ohvVixWk

Thanks

Your feet look wide, and they are all very high. It appears you are wearing wraps as well. Curious as to what a set at 375 looks like.

I would reload to 365 and run it back up, ensuring depth and form is perfect.

As for the programming, I don't have enough information, TM is typically where folks go next...pick up a copy of Practical Programming while you run the weight back up and figure out what might be best for you.

Thanks Mac,

I'll post a video @ 365 from my next workout. Those are 2-ply knee sleeves I'm wearing in the video, not knee wraps.

I'm 46 and 5'7" tall, started the program on May 27th, here's my beginning and current 5 rep numbers:
    squat: 135 - 420 (but not deep enough)
    press: 95 - 180
    bench: 135 - 255
    deadlift: 205 - 390
    power clean: 135 - 180 (terrible form)
    body wt: 215 - 228

I do have the book. I'll study up and figure something out. Maybe re-starting the squat at 365, will conserve enough energy to allow linear progression to continue on the other exercises. Bench press is the only thing that hasn't stalled out yet.

Ok, Here is a Set at 365 x 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1GHwDjJll4

I suspect the bar is a little high on your back, though very tough to see from this angle. Plenty deep, maybe a itty bitty bit too deep. I'd run it up from there, make a 10lb jump once or twice and then drop to 5lbs BEFORE you are having trouble with depth. Check out the bar position video on this website as well. Nice job.

BTW, I notice you pulled the knee sleeves. I wasn't condemning them in any way, I THOUGHT you were in wraps, but wasn't sure.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm taking your recommendation to run it up from 365 and, I'll check the bar position too.

I only use knee sleeves during work sets; gives me a mental edge I guess, especially when the last warm-up set feels like it will fold me like a lawn chair!

The next program adjustment I'll make is the options for advanced novice called out in PPST3, starting with a light squat day.