starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caitlin doing SS in Melbourne, Australia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today we see that what is characteristic of a newbie is not that their performance is poor, so much as it's inconsistent, they have a bad rep, then a good one, etc. But it was her birthday so...

Doing power muscle ups, eh? How much was that, 25 kg? There were no captions.

Do you think you could persuade her to read Starting Strength (and possibly PPST) in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Doing power muscle ups, eh? How much was that, 25 kg? There were no captions.
    Yes, 25kg.

Cleans are a funny one to teach. You need a light enough weight they can learn the form, but a heavy enough weight they can't just muscle it up. There's a much narrower band of load to use for learning compared to sq/bp/dl. And as I mention in the blog post, any form errors are magnified by the speed of the movement, things are much more obviously wrong than when you're looking at a deadlift, for example.

Do you think you could persuade her to read Starting Strength (and possibly PPST) in the future?
    She's going to Harvard next year to do law. I think she has enough reading to do.
    Last edited by Kyle Schuant; 09-18-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    She's going to Harvard next year to do law. I think she has enough reading to do.
    Ah, thus the double entendre at the start of every video.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Rip should give you an award for no 1 wingnut

Maybe honorary SSC title

seeing as you flunked the first time
    Ok, I just don't get this kind of behavior. This seems pointlessly mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Srs doe Kyle is a buffoon and I don't call em out without provocation.

Dude's been a nutswinging jackass on this forum parroting Rippetoe in both style and content for as long as I've been posting here.

When people mock this place for being a Church of Rippetoe it's because of people like OP

haters gotta hate

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    haters gotta hate
    he's so thirsty he had to drink the haterade.

I had a question about this video, actually. Her descent is super fast on the squats, is that ok or just something you'll slow down later?
    I ask because after watching my own squats I realized my speed going down was causing me to kind of collapse at the bottom and go way too deep.
    After trying to really slow down my descent my form improved dramatically, and I've finally managed to get decent depth without going too far.

It's common for inexperienced people (I don't know your experience, trapntan, I'm just speaking generally), particularly women and younger people, to just drop on the eccentric. We see this especially in bench press, but also in squats. I find it goes with that lack of trunk control, being able to keep the back tight, etc.

It's a habit that can take time to get out of a person. Often it disappears by itself as the weight gets heavier, nobody wants to just drop like that with a weight they feel is heavy.
    Last edited by Kyle Schuant; 09-19-2014 at 08:14 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Remember in your last incarnation someone said Try not to get yourself banned this time, and you said you weren't deliberately provocative? Yeah, comments like you've made in this thread might be why you keep getting banned. Pull your head in. Unless you are actually just here to troll people in which case good job
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 09-20-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast