starting strength gym

Thread: Pat Mendes Quote

Default Pat Mendes Quote

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "When I first started it was really really just lifts only, only this, only that, but I mean you adjust as it goes on. So for me now that I'm decently efficient in the lifts and I know how to lift I focus on a lot of strength things like a lot of more squats and a lot of pulls and doing those exercises first because the fact of the matter is like I'm not gonna clean 250 with a 230 front squat. You need to get those numbers up if you want to lift anything. "

How logical. You get really good technique and you get really, really strong. Too bad he is lifting for Brazil.

I omitted the phrase "you know" for readability.

He's an amazingly bright guy, able to learn from history and able to ignore fools.

Pat has a pretty good intuitive sennse on how to train. I went out to John Broz's gym for a couple weeks back when Pat was a super heavy and I saw him snatch 200kg a couple times. He squatted first all the time and then squatted again at the end...and then squatted some more. He deadlifted too. Kid works his ass off. Broz was a really good guy too. They don't low bar or do a lot of stuff that Starting Strength purports, but he's a big time believer in getting strong.

I know Pat and Broz get a bad rap all the time because Broz sometimes writes things on the internet that people don't like to hear (because he tells people they need to get stronger), but he has always been very welcoming to me and some of my athletes I have sent to his gym to train. Its good to see Pat training again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiStasio View Post
    He squatted first all the time and then squatted again at the end...and then squatted some more.
    People always give me shit for squatting first in my workouts, but I like it better than the other way around. You get all your squatting in and if you do well in the lifts after your sets across then that's just gravy.

Its good to see Pat training again.
    Yeah, I really hope he is able to put things together and do well in RIO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He's an amazingly bright guy, able to learn from history and able to ignore fools.
    Truly a valuable quality in any endeavor.