starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift question

Default Deadlift question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posted a form check a few months ago on my Deadlift, and one of the criticisms was that my hips were a little bit too low. I started keeping my hips higher, and my back more horizontal, and had a lot of trouble keeping my back flat during the pull. I recently decided to switch back to my old ways and lowered my hips a few inches, and immediately saw progress.

Here's a video from a couple weeks ago with my hips lower. My back rounds a tiny bit on the fifth rep, but it was much easier for me to set up and pull with a flat back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms1t...ature=youtu.be

Today I tried setting up in the method Rippetoe lays out in Starting Strength, with my hips a few inches higher. It was much harder for me to get a neutral spine during my setup, and throughout the pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f4wBjv8uqw

I guess my question is, is it worth trying to keep my hips higher? Or should I stick with slightly lower hips if it seems to work?

I don't know that I see a hell of a lot of difference between those two setups. You have shinguards on in the first, which changes your geometry slightly. The biggest difference I see is that the second video is 20 pounds heavier. Your setup on the second video may be slightly better, but my guess is the reason it is harder is because of those extra 20 pounds on the bar.

I guess the difference in hip-angle isn't as pronounced as I thought. I'm guessing this means it's probably not a huge deal to keep my hips a few inches lower as long as it feels better mechanically. I can tell my back isn't perfect on 335, do you think it's rounded too much to try 340 this Friday? Or should I probably repeat 335 and aim for better form?

If feeling good while lifting is your goal, you may need to reconsider some things. There is nothing that feels good about a deadlift. Things that make it feel good almost always negatively impact the lift. Go for 340 and see how it is. Consider getting another inch or so between your feet.

If feeling good while lifting is your goal, you may need to reconsider some things. There is nothing that feels good about a deadlift. Things that make it feel good almost always negatively impact the lift. Go for 340 and see how it is. Consider getting another inch or so between your feet.
    Took your advice and spaced my feet out a little further and went for 340. I guess I'm not sure what an acceptable back position is for my working sets, is this alright? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xLL...2ZvI8-J9fblq9Q

Yep. Back looks pretty solid. Go forth in sin. Keep your chin down a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jalE...2ZvI8-J9fblq9Q

My 4th and 5th reps are a little bit questionable at 345, though they don't look terrible. I still don't know if this is too much rounding to add 5lbs next week. Also I didn't tuck my chin again, so I went ahead and used some electrical tape to mark the spot on the floor that will keep my neck in alignment with my spine.

On a side note, you guys have given me such great advice over the past two years free of charge. Are you ever going to set up some sort of donation fund for all of your efforts?

starting strength coach development program
    Your first move off the ground is to unlock your back. Fortunately, it doesn't unlock very much. Stay at 345 and see if you can keep your hands on the bar for the whole set. Getting the bar over the midfoot, since it may be slightly forward of it now, may help a little.

Highly unlikely that we will set up a donation page in the near future. Instead, tell a friend about Starting Strength and go to a seminar near you.