starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training relatives

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Fencing coaches are just like most other sports coaches. They assume that things should be done the way they've always been done, just like when they learned it. And they'll be Damned to Hell if they're going to take advice from somebody who obviously knows nothing about (name of sport). This is why S&C coaches working under these people are so often hampered in their ability to just get the players stronger. The sport coach's input is designed to preserve the sport coach's authority, not facilitate the most effective strength program the S&C coach can administer. This results in strength programs that are less than effective applications of the basics, applied to athletes for whom the basics were designed.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    I'm actually a little less comfortable yelling at friends, because it's easier to drop a friend who pisses you off than it is to divorce someone.
    Hopefully this is metaphorical yelling. If you find it actually necessary to yell at a student, you're doing something very wrong.

Have you ever coached 15-year-old boys?

Quote Originally Posted by sirostac View Post
    That's like teaching your wife/girlfriend/SO how to shoot a firearm. Just don't do it. Some things are best left taught by a professional.

<---- CHL instructor for 6 years.
    I attempted this very thing. Mother of God. I could not even get through the basics of firearm safety without getting the eyeroll and impatient gestures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The sport coach's input is designed to preserve the sport coach's authority, not facilitate the most effective strength program the S&C coach can administer.
    Unless it's a coach of a women's team, then they just don't give a shit.

"Compared with coaches of male athletes, coaches of female athletes were less likely to know the credentials of their strength coaches, and they were less likely to use certified coaches to plan and implement their strength and conditioning programs. [...] Compared with their female counterparts, male athletes were more likely to have required training, participate in strength training year round, and train using more sessions per week."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you ever coached 15-year-old boys?
    I've taught slightly older boys to fly airplanes. I've never found raising my voice to be necessary, even to correct dangerous behavior. I know that consistent, even-tempered pressure from me will eventually produce the behavior I need to see. Some instructors find yelling an important tool, but I see that as an instance of "If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I'm with Rip.

No troubles at all with teaching/coaching my 3 kids, and quite a string of other hangers-on, all in the wondrous solitude of the home gym. But when Herself ventured in, and actually asked to be coached ... oy. Rarely have I experienced such total and abject failure. This, even when I'd been the one who taught her to drive, some decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Perhaps some crazy dude with fencing gear isn't a good basis to judge the usefulness of strength to the sport?
    Perhaps not. But he said he had been fencing for years. I, on the other hand, had never handled a foil before. Or since, I might add. So apparently strength can overcome some levels of relative skill gained through experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    Hopefully this is metaphorical yelling. If you find it actually necessary to yell at a student, you're doing something very wrong.
    Perhaps you would be more comfortable if I called it 'increased-volume cueing'?

Yell: to say (something) very loudly especially because you are angry, surprised, or are trying to get someone's attention.

Increased volume can can often help to get the correct response. But, this can sometimes lead to frustration for the lifter that's struggling with trying to fix a form problem, and this frustration can occasionally be directed back at the person giving the cue in the form of anger. Sometimes this is even helpful, if that anger helps the lifter accomplish the goal.

But we don't need anybody around here getting divorced because they shouted 'Knees out harder!' one too many times. Hence the warning.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    I've taught slightly older boys to fly airplanes. I've never found raising my voice to be necessary, even to correct dangerous behavior. I know that consistent, even-tempered pressure from me will eventually produce the behavior I need to see. Some instructors find yelling an important tool, but I see that as an instance of "If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
    So, you've never coached younger boys under the bar. Just what I thought. Yelling is often necessary when attempting to coach certain demographics, and I hope you realize that student pilots and 15-year-old kids that want to lift weights are not equivalent demographics attempting to learn equivalent materials.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast