starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest on PJ Media

Rip, are you saying your training won't make me sexy?

Your patience on that site is enough to earn you a sainthood....but I have a sick feeling this article is still going to earn its fair share of cringe-worthy comments from people who didn't actually read the article and just wanted to tell an unrelated anecdote about their changes in bodyfat % between age 20 and 50 and how useful cycling and light lifting has been at keeping their abs over that duration.

This is my favorite article you've written. What's most interesting to me—and will hopefully serve as a wakeup call to (at least some) of the abs- and endurance-obsessed—is that the low end of "normal" (19ish) and the high end of "overweight" (28ish) have about the same all-cause mortality risk.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Rip, are you saying your training won't make me sexy?
    It already has, sweet thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    This is my favorite article you've written. What's most interesting to me—and will hopefully serve as a wakeup call to (at least some) of the abs- and endurance-obsessed—is that the low end of "normal" (19ish) and the high end of "overweight" (28ish) have about the same all-cause mortality risk.
    Be sure to follow the comments on PJ and my FB page. They will be amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Be sure to follow the comments on PJ and my FB page. They will be amusing.

LET THEM HAVE CAKE.

Rip, I'm just big boned, ok?

This is a great article and an important wake up call for people who think being skinny is the key to fitness.

starting strength coach development program
    A couple weeks ago, while talking with someone I hadn't seen in a while (about 50 pounds ago, when I was running 50+ miles a week, and still lifting, but significantly less volume and intensity), he decided to give me some unsolicited training advice in the middle of the otherwise unrelated conversation:
    "Don't go heavy", he said.

"What do you mean?", I asked.

"With the weights. Don't go heavy."

"Well, it's waaay too late for that. Why do you say that?"

"Because my doctor told me that lifting heavy weights is bad for you. He told me to stop going heavy, and not try to gain more muscle. Because the more you weigh, the harder your heart has to work."

"If were you, I'd start looking for another doctor."
    As you can imagine, it went all downhill from there. The sad thing is that he already has a good amount of muscle mass (a fairly lean 198 pounds at 5'11") at the ripe age of 55. His doctor has essentially told him to his best course of action is to undo all the work and progress that's served him very well up to this point.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast