starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I stay at this weight or increase next workout?

Default Do I stay at this weight or increase next workout?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been training for 5 months but only started SS about a month ago.

Always found the press the weak link but with strict form and determination I've upped the weights each time.

Tonight I only just managed, and I mean only just, to complete the last rep on each of the three sets with a 5 min rest between them.

In each case the last rep stalled half way up and it was a case of absolutely grinding it out of about another 5 seconds of teeth crushing determination not to fail.

Do I move up the weight next time or stick at this weight until the last rep goes up without almost coming to a stop?

For the record I'm 6'4", 210 lbs and tonights press was a pathetic 100lbs. My bench is 180lbs if that means anything.

If you didn't miss, move up. If you miss, repeat. If you miss twice, reset 10%. You shouldn't miss for months at those weights. I started at 6'3, 185 and didn't miss for months, and yes, I had some tough days in there.

Eat more.
    Last edited by Mac Ward; 09-16-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    If you didn't miss, move up. If you miss, repeat. If you miss twice, reset 10%. You shouldn't miss for months at those weights. I started at 6'3, 185 and didn't miss for months, and yes, I had some tough days in there.

Eat more.
    Thanks for the reply.

Regarding eating more... I'd love to learn more about the theory of this in terms of increasing strength. Does additional fat in anyway shape of form aid strength?

You need to READ this forum. This has been discussed 10,000,000 times.

I don't know anything about the "theory". I just know that you have to eat more to build muscle. If you have a 100lb press, you don't have enough muscle. Therefore you need to eat more.

You need to READ this forum. This has been discussed 10,000,000 times.

I don't know anything about the "theory". I just know that you have to eat more to build muscle. If you have a 100lb press, you don't have enough muscle. Therefore you need to eat more.
    I shall read up. Still new to it all. Thanks.

Thanks.

My own personal difficulty is battling with body image problems from being bullied as the fat kid at school - I eventually lost all the weight by the age of 16 and for the last 22 years have tried very hard to stay slim and lean, so the prospect of eating so much and knowing I'll be getting fatter is an alien challenge I'll have to work at, plus I'm already 23% BF and don't want to add too much extra.

23% at 205 and 6'4"? I'm having a hard time seeing that, but I won't argue. Do what's right for you, I'm telling you how to get stronger.

23% at 205 and 6'4"? I'm having a hard time seeing that, but I won't argue. Do what's right for you, I'm telling you how to get stronger.
    Skinny fat..... very skinny fat I'm afraid.

Fear not - I am following the program faithfully, and I'm sure when the weights start getting heavier, the waist band will correct itself.

Is there a weight you think I should aim for then 'maintain' 220? 230?

starting strength coach development program
    UPDATE:

After my first session on shoulders featured at the start of this thread where I only managed 2/2/2, the next session saw 3/4/3 and absolutely determined not to fail, tonight saw 5/5/4 - so close yet so far.

It's great that I can see progress and I'm utterly convinced that if I were to stick at this weight for the 4th attempt, I'd nail that last rep and all would be good with the world.

However.... the letter of the law says I should deload and build up again.

Given the progress I've made at this weight where I am now only 1 rep away, should I be strict and deload, or nail it on the 4th attempt?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast