starting strength gym

Thread: Whey allergy

Default Whey allergy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

Whenever I use whey protein powder my resting heart rate jacks up to between 110-120 bpm. My doc diagnosed this as an allergy. This was using a variety of "plain" whey protein powders, so I am pretty sure this is not the result of any mystery substances that are brand specific.

Have you seen this before or have any idea what causes this? Other than not using whey, and possible solutions?

I ask because whey is damned convenient and tastes decent. All of the other protein powders taste like ass in my experience.

Thanks,

Tom

What kind of whey are you using, i.e. is it whey protein concentrate, isolate? Does it happen when you drink milk or eat yogurt?

Jordan,

It is whey isolate.

Yogurt doesn't seem to cause any problems. Organic whole milk I am okay with, but not the conventional stuff. It gives me acid reflux.

When I eat ice cream or lots of cheeze, I get a lot of phlem for about 15 minutes afterwards.

I tried casein protein powder and it just gave me a world class case of acid reflux.

Thanks,

Tom

Do you get heart rate elevation after yogurt, milk, ice cream?

What do you drink your whey with? Do you drink it solo and how many scoops do you take at once?

I've had that heart racing symptom from whey. It doesn't seem to happen when I eat it with food to slow absorption (I have it with a bowl of high-fiber cereal, fruit, and yogurt).

Jordan,

Sorry for the late response but I've been at my 20 th class reunion the past few days.

It does not happen with any other milk products as far as I can tell. Although I get a lot of phlegm from cheese and ice cream.

Normally, I just take it straight without adding anything.

Thank you,

Tom

starting strength coach development program
    Hmmm, that sounds strange. Really don't have anything to say intelligently. Sorry man.