starting strength gym

Thread: Right knee hurts after previous deadlift, please check form

Default Right knee hurts after previous deadlift, please check form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 30 y.o., 151 lb, 5'7". Running linear progression from July 29th (my log).

Latest lifts (lb):
    DL: 209 (progressing with 3.3 lb jumps)
    SQ: 176 (3.3 lb jumps)
    BP: 137 (2.2 lb jumps)
    PR: 90 (2.2 lb jumps)
    no PC yet (DL every workout as recommended for underweight males)

Previous workout (Tue., 23rd) was unexpectedly difficult and my form degraded significantly on SQ and DL. After that, my right knee hurts on the left top part, especially when deadlifing. Probably it isn't the knee itself but nearby muscles, I don't know how to determine exactly.

Today I repeated my previous SQ work set weight (went fine), but had to stop after DL warm-up (it was hurting all the time starting from 135 lb).

I have no video of previous workout, but filmed my last warm-up DL sets today. I'm sure that it is my form that causes knee pain, but don't see exactly what's wrong. Sorry for filming too closely, I didn't plan posting a form check and a wall was on my way. Will improve next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhqUKD28304&t=50s

or embedded:

If 3 reps aren't enough, please scroll to the beginning for two previous sets of 4, or take a look at my work set on Sept. 16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmg-pvPKIo&t=19s (199 lb x 5).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to proceed with this injury.

Your deadlift is pretty much textbook. I don't see much to complain about there. Can you be more specific about where it hurts? If you roll on a lacrosse ball, can you mash on it? Does doing so help?

Pain has almost gone after the next two workouts where I focused on warm-ups and form. It was a weird kind of pain: hurt only when I contracted my back (like during a deadlift or just touching my feet), but not otherwise. Rolling on a lacrosse ball didn't hurt. I think it was inferred pain from my back muscles. Most likely it appeared due to accumulated fatigue (I deadlift every workout) that also caused bad form on the previous workout. To prevent it from returning I'm going to decrease deadlift frequency (substitute with PC or chins) or perform speed deadlifts with lighter weight once per week.

Thank you for the feedback, it gives me confidence to proceed.

I wouldn't worry about the speed deadlifts at this point, but the rest of the plan sounds good.

Also, stay safe out there.