starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gluteal Amnesia is a myth. But lumbar amnesia is real?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Deleted. Yep, Jamsek.

This part is funny:

And I think, how fucking sad is it that this is what life comes down to? Growing into your 60's, and still trying to impress some other dude by going along with what he says. And you, randomly cussing out strangers on the internet for no reason whatsoever other than you are a lonely, miserable old man in East Texas.

It's a simple matter of proprioception, not some sort of "amnesia" in which the muscles don't know how to fire. They aren't "asleep". The muscles and brain always now how to use the muscles to do their job, and they'll do so when your brain knows they need to. People who can't consciously assume the right position when squatting still use their lumbar muscles for postural support all goddamn day long.

Are people who can't make their tits bounce gracefully on command like Arnold (or a gymnast I dated) unable to bench press because of this lack of conscious, isolated muscle control?

Is your anal sphincter "asleep" because you can't get it sing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    The writing style of the OP is familiar.

Nonetheless, I think the original post was a legitimate question, and the answer interesting to others. I would just delete all but the first and second posts before banning Will D again.
    I didn't see anything genuine about the original question - it was a disingenuous, juvenile, gleeful "gotcha Rip, you're wrong!" ... that didn't actually prove anything of the sort ... except perhaps the fact the OP doesn't understand the difference between performing a movement and activating a single muscle that is part of a movement.

The difference is really remarkably obvious.

1. Trainee is instructed to perform lumbar extension during a lift.
    2. Fails to achieve lumbar extension.
    3. The superman exercise isolates the movement (not a muscle) to make it easier to feel and achieve.

Which is not at all the same as the OP's glute amnesia scenario:

1. Trainee is instructed to perform hip extension during a lift.
    2. Succeeds.
    3. Despite this, trainee supposedly managed to do so while using only some of the muscles that perform said movement and therefore needs corrective activations etc.

The OP isn't coming close to comparing apples with apples.

The two situations, if they actually were analogous would look something like this:

"Well, I see you still managed to achieve hip extension but you only used your hamstrings. You need some glute activation exercises."

"Well, I see you still managed to achieve lumbar extension but you only used your longissimus thoracis. You need some iliocostalis lumborum activation exercises."

And this is certainly valuable. Nutswingers, take heed:

I thought you fine gentlemen might now enjoy some inspirational words as you go about your training endeavors.

Great men in history have been the men who thought for themselves-who did their own experiments, analyzed the results, and then reworked their future plans accordingly. This applies to any field. Follow the Leader types always remain followers.

You are an individual. You have certain potentials; you have certain problems. You alone can solve these problems, and thus realize your potentials.

This applies to lifting or to business. Only you can determine your potential, and only you can develop the right program for you alone. You of course will use the information that others before you have discovered, but soon you will find that what works for one man may not work as well for you.

You must think for yourself, and if you can't think for yourself or refuse to think for yourself, then you have a very limited potential in any direction.

It takes raw, driving courage to think for yourself because you will often be lonely when you don't simply follow the prescribed path. You may have been following a path trod by others for some unfathomable reason, perhaps doing so without question.

If you are willing to think for yourself, then let's get on with life's next lesson, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Strength Spin View Post
    You try to find some way to lie to yourself, and your sycophants, who you know won't point out the Emperor has no clothes.
    Sycophants? Showing the fig eh! Such inflammatory gestures, how crude.

Just use the activation drill before the move, just like you do with the Supermans.
    What does activation drill mean, specifically?

If we're going to discuss semantics, well by Joe, let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strength Spin View Post
    This part is funny:

And I think, how fucking sad is it that this is what life comes down to? Growing into your 60's, and still trying to impress some other dude by going along with what he says. And you, randomly cussing out strangers on the internet for no reason whatsoever other than you are a lonely, miserable old man in East Texas.
    What's truly inexplicable is that he thinks Wichita Falls is in East Texas.

Or that I'm lonely, and in my 60s. It is hard to understand the mind of a troll.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    What does activation drill mean, specifically?

If we're going to discuss semantics, well by Joe, let's do it.
    In my experience, people usually confuse "having a pump" with "activation".
    How did they manage to get a pump when the muscles are sleeping?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast