starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Press Check

Default Squat and Press Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, coaches.
    Since attending the Level II seminar earlier this summer, I have been working on the technique of all the lifts while hoping to catch some PR's along the way. My main concerns are, and have always been, the squat and the press.
    For the squat, the main thing I was told to do was keep tightness during the descent, especially in my hips.
    290x5
    I posted this in the technique forum because I thought I might be going too low but I'm starting to think some of that suspicion might be based on the camera angle.
    255x5
    This is my most recent set of squats, lighter because I'm starting the Texas Method tomorrow, and a more useful vantage point to detect any problems with technique, I hope.

For the press, I've completely switched over to 2.0 after doing a 1.0/1.5 THING (probably more accurate than to call it a press) and it has been going well, as this is a PR for me. What I have been working on is primarily tight quads and abs, a big hip movement, and the dip and drive.
    135x5
    Thank you so much for doing these technique checks and I hope I didn't fuck up filming these things too badly!

Minor tweaks - overall very nice job from what I see on the video.

Squat: Heels might be a smidge too wide, your toes appear to be outside your knees at the bottom, though it's tough to see. Depth might be a little low, but I think it is because the weight is ridiculously light for you.

Press: If the torso is tight enough from your toe nails to your eyebrows, when your hips come forward, they will "bounce" when they hit the furthest extension. The bar will start its bath upward at that moment, rising as the hips come back to their normal anatomical position.

It's pretty decent, get a little tighter in the press.

Nice job.

This is good news! I'll keep a careful eye on my squat and get real toight on the press.
    Thanks, Mac!