starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3" Belt - Bob's vs Best

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post

I'm 6'4." Mac pointed out that my setup totally changed on the power clean when I put the belt on. I didn't notice it much before, but now I can't avoid noticing it.
    While I haven't tried a 3" belt yet, I've been recording my pulls lately and noticed that I wasn't pulling my upperback tight enough or using the valsalva hard enough, so I was practicing without belt and I was noticing an immediate difference in my pulls, but then when I got into my working weights with my 4" belt, I was finding it really hard to get into position, so difficult the bar would start to come off the ground slightly before I would start to pull it, whether it was on powercleans or deadlifts.

Ordered a 3" Bob's Belt. I'll let you know in a month or so, if I remember. If not, someone remind me.

Thanks to the people in the Best Belts thread, especially hamburgerfan. I'm going with rust after seeing his.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    After going to the seminar, I've been convinced to get a 3" belt for the pulls, since the 4" alters my setup.

Looking at the two main options, I see the 3" Best Belt is significantly cheaper ($82 vs $134), but it's also 8-10 mm, while Bob's is a full 13mm. I definitely prefer the 13mm for my 4" belt, so I'm leaning towards Bob's despite the price.

Anybody tried both, or just have an opinion they'd like to share?
    Sean- i just bought a 2.5 incher from the Bests. Compared to the mammoth construction of the 4 inch, this one does look a bit flimsy. And because of reduced thickness, cuts into your gut during the set up.

But Dean Best is nothing, if not helpful, and customer focused. Just email him asking him yo make the belt thicker, and he will do it for free, or maybe ten bucks more, at the most.

Shug says bobs' is great, but the one belt that i have seen from Bobs' is virtually indistinguishable from a best.

That said, my bests are great belts ( both of 'em), though i believe if i had the foresight to asl Dean for a thick ass 2.5 incher, i would have been better off.

Quote Originally Posted by iFreedom View Post
    Did she have to wait long? I've tried twice to contact them but thy didn't return my call or email.
    We ordered online and received it about two and a half weeks later.

I would have asked Dean what it would take for him to make a 3" 13mm belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    I would have asked Dean what it would take for him to make a 3" 13mm belt.
    Probably would have been a good idea. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    I've never pulled in a 3 inch belt, but I've pulled in 10mm and 13mm belts, and I always prefer the thinner belt for pulls. The 13mm belt was too stiff, and couldn't settle into position as I set up - no matter how tight I pulled it it would slide more. the thinner belt is more malleable and "fits" better as I set up for a pull.
    I had this trouble with my own Lifting Large 13mm 4" levered belt. Then I started flexing it along it's length so it would settle in better. Now it feels fine.

Quote Originally Posted by iFreedom View Post
    Did she have to wait long? I've tried twice to contact them but thy didn't return my call or email.
    They aren't very responsive with emails. But seem to process orders in about the time they claim. Mine arrived a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Sean- i just bought a 2.5 incher from the Bests. Compared to the mammoth construction of the 4 inch, this one does look a bit flimsy. And because of reduced thickness, cuts into your gut during the set up.
    I also have 2.5". IMO, a narrower belt needn't be as thick as a wider one to feel sturdy. But with extra thickness it may indeed cut into the gut less. Mine does cut during squats but not deadlifts. Have got it recently so not sure whether this is going to change as I get used to it.
    Last edited by Roman B.; 10-01-2014 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added info

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman B. View Post
    They aren't very responsive with emails. But seem to process orders in about the time they claim. Mine arrived a bit faster.

I also have 2.5". IMO, a narrower belt needn't be as thick as a wider one to feel sturdy. But with extra thickness it may indeed cut into the gut less. Mine does cut during squats but not deadlifts. Have got it recently so not sure whether this is going to change as I get used to it.
    Oh man, i can imagine a 2.5 inch narrow belt will cut really badly into the gut on a squat, especially a heavy rep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12