starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts n Shoes

Default Nuts n Shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

So I really like nuts and they seem like a good way to get calories in without the terrible feeling I get from drinking lots of milk, but I've started noticing that some of seem to come out the other end relatively undigested, and I chew pretty thoroughly. I'm assuming this will affect the nutrients I'm getting out of them? Is this maybe to do with quantity or type of nuts? I normally eat 100-200g of mixed nuts in 1 sitting.

Also, if somebody wanted to avoid cramp, would salted peanuts be a good thing to eat before a workout? Seem to have a lot of potassium, magnesium and salt.

And about your weightlifting shoes video, roughly how much did it cost and how long did it take to get the heel taken off your PP2s? And with the material of the heel, was the only option to get the entire thing removed or do you think it would be possible to just have it taken down a bit? I'm also curious about what part of the sole they left on, does it still have that honeycomb pattern on the bottom?

Thanks for your time, that's a lot of questions

So the nuts thing is pretty straight forward. At that level of nut intake per meal, you're getting about 45g-90g of fat per meal and 11-22g of fiber. With this in mind, I think either metering out your fat intake into smaller meals OR finding alternate sources may be useful. Alternatively, using digestive enzymes (lipase) might help too provided you don't have any overt GI issue.

I don't know if salted peanuts would help or not help cramps. I tend to see people do well with BCAAs + electrolytes and being hydrated. I also have had success with people who do BCAAs and then rinse their mouth with Gatorade (without swallowing).

It took about 3 days for the cobbler to shave my shoes down and it cost me 20 bucks. He just removed the crepe along the entire sole up until the toe box, where it was only the single layer there, which he subsequently made flush with the entire shoe. Yes it still has honeycomb on the bottom. In the video I explain that they detached the sole from the shoe boot by peeling the heel towards the toe, but they never removed it. He then just cut away excess material so it was the same height all the way across.

Cool, thanks Jordan.

One more little thing, I noticed you didn't use them for your 700 pull (congrats, must have been elating), was that just to get that little bit closer to the ground to go for a 1rm?

Quote Originally Posted by JB47 View Post
    Cool, thanks Jordan.

One more little thing, I noticed you didn't use them for your 700 pull (congrats, must have been elating), was that just to get that little bit closer to the ground to go for a 1rm?
    Yea both instances (700 and 705) I actually didn't have room to pack an extra pair of shoes and I surreptitiously pulled in socks. Now my brain is thinking too much about the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea both instances (700 and 705) I actually didn't have room to pack an extra pair of shoes and I surreptitiously pulled in socks. Now my brain is thinking too much about the issue...
    Come over to the socks/slippers dark side, Jordan. We have pop tarts.

Now my brain is thinking too much about the issue...
    About whether the shoes may have changed the outcome (for better or worse) or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Come over to the socks/slippers dark side, Jordan. We have pop tarts.
    "You merely adopted the slippers/sock, I was born in it, molded by it." BainzZz

Quote Originally Posted by JB47 View Post
    About whether the shoes may have changed the outcome (for better or worse) or something?
    Yea basically since the 2x I pulled 700 were in socks, I'm like- maybe I should just pull in slippers at the meet.

"You merely adopted the slippers/sock, I was born in it, molded by it." BainzZz

Yea basically since the 2x I pulled 700 were in socks, I'm like- maybe I should just pull in slippers at the meet.
    No WL shoes? What would Rip say?

The Church of Baseball can help you there.

http://youtu.be/KeVca9MwDX8

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post
    No WL shoes? What would Rip say?
    Something about hip drahhvee, if I had to guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast