starting strength gym

Thread: periodic squat check

Default periodic squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches. I had what felt like a great intensity day yesterday and I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. I realize that some of the reps (mostly the first reps in the set) my knees travel forward basically the whole time. One thing I was working on was stopping myself from falling into the hole at the bottom.

What tweaks do I need to make?

Thanks!

340x5x5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soHzoNRI4Ts

3:42 seconds of squatting is more than I ever want to deal with ever again. Just post your last set in the future. That is typically where most of the flaws are apparent anyway.

Overall, nice job. Decent hip drive though would be improved if you can keep those knees from sliding forward at the bottom as you have already pointed out.

Shove those knees out hard. If they are shoved out hard enough they cannot slide forward. I think if I were standing there I would tell you that your first movement with your knees should "feel" out and not forward, if that makes sense. When you break the hips and knees, send the knees out.

"Out and not forward" is an interesting cue I haven't considered. I'm usually thinking "knees: forward and out; ass: back" which doesn't sound totally different but I realize it could be profound. I will work on that.

Thanks for the feedback!

I wish I could take credit for it. Rip said the same thing to me when my squat looked like yours almost 2 years ago. Made a HUGE difference.

This cue is good for me. It's already making a huge difference. I don't have it down 100% yet, but another VD and I think it'll stick.