starting strength gym
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: My new article on Military Fitness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dpg View Post
    First, shouldn't military personnel train pullups instead of chinups, because you can't climb anything with a supinated grip?
    If only there were an optimal way to train upper body strength that would result in carryover to a wide array of functional movements.

Second, wouldn't it be useful to add a weighted carry (farmer's bars walk) to the standards, as this would have direct correlation to carrying heavy loads?
    If only there were an optimal way to train grip and posterior chain strength that would result in carryover to a wide array of functional movements.

...Sarcasm aside, there are certainly programs that do just fine with blends of pullups and chins, and there are plenty of strength coaches who advocate loaded carries for conditioning. That's all well and good, but your rationale for presenting those ideas is what's gonna get you skewered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Asinine non argument.
    It's also an asinine non argument that 3 sets of 5 on a few barbell exercises is going to build up the endurance and work capacity needed for rucking. Equally asinine is the notion that such work capacity can be built up in a couple of weeks of endurance training or maintained by doing endurance training once in a blue moon. What needs to be discussed is not weather barbell training can improve rucking performance (of course it can) or whether significant endurance work will still be needed (of course it will) but what is the best way to utilize both for optimum results.

Quote Originally Posted by dmworking View Post
    If only there were an optimal way to train upper body strength that would result in carryover to a wide array of functional movements.

If only there were an optimal way to train grip and posterior chain strength that would result in carryover to a wide array of functional movements.

...Sarcasm aside, there are certainly programs that do just fine with blends of pullups and chins, and there are plenty of strength coaches who advocate loaded carries for conditioning. That's all well and good, but your rationale for presenting those ideas is what's gonna get you skewered.
    Skewer away. I believe pullups and farmer's walks would result in more carryover to a wide array of functional movements. The pullup more than the chinup because it works more back than bi's, the muscles used to climb up a net or over a wall. The chinup works more bi's. From what I've read, people in the tactical community already train pullups rather than chinups for this reason. The loaded carry works the body through the whole gait pattern, while squats and deadlifts do not. When I used squats and deadlifts to prepare for hikes, I found that I still got sore in the hips - from the loading of that rolling transition from one limb to the other.

If you guys want to continue to re-explain this shit to this moron, start a new thread in Training and do it down there. I'm done.

Recruitment offices should implement weight lifting rooms. Use that time before bootcamp to build strength levels quite a bit. All the running and rucking can be trained in bootcamp.

Problem solv-ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you guys want to continue to re-explain this shit to this moron, start a new thread in Training and do it down there. I'm done.
    A few days ago I was the cleverest troll ever; now I'm a moron. Make up your mind.

I believe pullups and farmer's walks would result in more carryover to a wide array of functional movements.
    That's nice. Why don't you go train a couple thousand people and see if they do?

starting strength coach development program
    A few days ago I was the cleverest troll ever; now I'm a moron. Make up your mind.
    I have.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213